Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to feed the Buffalo grass when away?

aussie_max
Just Starting Out

How to feed the Buffalo grass when away?

I live in Sydney and am going away for 10 days.  Perfect time to put some fertilizer of some sort on the buffalo  grass.

In the past I've used PowerFeed, but am wondering if I should use it, or Dynamic Lifter (Yates/Munns/Shirleys)? 

Maybe put a layer of weed and feed spray over the top?

It should rain while away so hope it helps.

Note: We have a dog that has weed and poo'd all over the garden (but will be away too)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to feed the Buffalo grass when away?

Hello @aussie_max

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about feeding Buffalo grass.

All those fertilizers you mentioned work with Buffalo grass. For example, PowerFeed 4kg Buffalo Plant Food LawnFeed is specifically made for Buffalo grass. It has beneficial soil microbes to help improve the soil structure. It's boosted with seaweed to reduce stress from heat, drought, frost and foot traffic. It feeds and revitalizes the lawn for three months, which means that it is a slow-release fertilizer.

The Yates 5kg Dynamic Lifter Lawn Food has organic material in it. It has added Blood and Bone, fishmeal and seaweed to organically enrich and improve the soil. Because it's in pellet form it is a slow-release fertilizer as well. 

Munns Professional 5kg Lawn Fertiliser Buffalo Booster on the other hand has a high nitrogen content and is geared towards plant growth. It greens and thickens the lawn to reduce potential weed growth. This has a three-month application window as well.

Among the three of them, I've used PowerFeed and have been very satisfied with the results in my garden. Putting this on and leaving your turf for ten days should feed your turf nicely. If it does rain during those ten days, it can help spread the fertilizer into the roots where it will be most beneficial.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle, @BradN, and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @aussie_max 

My method of operation would be to fertilise the lawn (strictly as directed by the label instructions on whichever product you choose) at least two days before your intended departure and then ensure you water the lawn the following day to settle the fertiliser into the grass so it is not sitting on top, perchance it does not rain in your absence.

I would most definitely NOT use a weed and feed-type product as well - too much fertiliser applied in a short timeframe could result in burning of the lawn.

If you want the benefits of a slow release fertiliser plus some organic content, then you could also look at Scotts Lawn Builder Plus Organics Lawn Food and Soil Improver, which will feed the lawn for up to four months at a slow, steady pace - no surge growth.

It is not essential to choose a fertiliser specifically identified on the label as a buffalo lawn food - most all purpose lawn fertilisers can safely be used on b uffalo grasses.  There are exceptions (such as lawn foods that include weedkillers), so always check the label before purchase and again before use to ensure it is OK to apply to buffalo.

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

100% to @Noelle's advice @aussie_max 👍👍👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects