Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a raised garden bed

ALBERT2
Just Starting Out

How to fill a raised garden bed

I would like to know the best way to fill a raised garden bed around 1 metre high

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Re: Raised Garden bed

G'day @ALBERT2.

I've made a couple of raised garden beds about of scrap timber and Colorbond sheets left over from our house being built and I tried the hugelkultur method with one.

I basically grabbed logs and branches and lay them in the base and fill them in with leaves. Then I jumped on them all to compress them all a bit and chucked on more branches and leaves. Gave that a good soak, then ripped up cardboard boxes and did a layer of them and gave them a soak.
Finally, I went to Bunnings and grabbed some bags of garden soil and put those in and mixed them with some manure and compost.

The idea is that all those leaves, branches and wood will break down over time and it also means that I didn't have the cost of filling the entire thing with soil. Just the top section for growing.

I'm lucky to back onto the bush, so dead wood and leaves are easy to grab. Not sure of your situation, but if you do a search for hugelkultur, it might give you some ideas.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Raised Garden bed

Hi @ALBERT2,

I think an important question so members can assist you with more useful replies is what are you planning to plant in the raised garden bed? Is it for vegetables, for example?

Let me extend a warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our wonderful community members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden, or have something new to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects