Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a weed lawn?

mel93
Just Starting Out

How to fix a weed lawn?

Hi all,

My partner and I have recently moved into a new home and the whole backyard is just weeds. What are the first steps to fixing this please? The yard is quite big, we would love to have a nice lawn!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a weed lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mel93. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If there is nothing but weeds in the area then I would start by removing them with weed killer. If your lawn is particularly hard and compacted I would suggest aerating it and filling those holes with Bastion 20kg River Sand. This will ensure adequate drainage in the lawn and will make it easier for the new grass roots to penetrate. Once you have completed the aeration I would apply Hortico 25 Lawn Top-dress Mix and then re-seed or lay turf.

Here's a couple of helpful step-by-step videos on How to grow lawn from seed and How to lay instant turf which I trust you'll find of assistance in this process. 

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects