Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix lawn shrinkage gaps

saidandem
Getting Established

How to fix lawn shrinkage gaps

Firstly this is my first post. Let me know if you need any other details that I missed to provide.

My lawn (Sir Walter Buffalo) is now 7 weeks old (instant lawn). From last few weeks I am noticing that the gaps between the turf slabs is increasing and the grass is turning brown on the edges. I am watering regularly (2 times a week, @25mins each time) and in between with some occasional rainfall ( I live in Melbourne Suburb).

Three weeks back I started aerating using Trojan All Steel Spiked Aerator.  And one week back I applied the fertilizer Seasol 2 x 2L Ready To Use Lawn Fertiliser.

In the pics it is not showing the exact gaps. The gaps are a bit wider than in the images. Can any of you please let me know how can I fix these gaps.

Thank you,

Sai.

1632883063563.JPEG1632883064646.JPEGThere are other spots which much wider gapsThere are other spots which much wider gaps

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix lawn shrinkage gaps

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @saidandem. It's great to have you join us.

@Adam_W shared a fantastic guide about detecting lawn problems and may be able to jump in and share his thoughts here. Our resident D.I.Y. experts @MitchellMc and @EricL will also be happy to help.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
saidandem
Getting Established

@StevieB  Thanks for your reply. The provided link is very helpful to get the basic information.

I believe @Adam_W , @MitchellMc  or @EricL will help me to address this specific issue.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @saidandem

I recommend increasing the number of times you water your new lawn from 2 to 4 times a week. Change your schedule and water only in the evening to prevent evaporation. The soil beneath the turf is sucking up the moisture from the turf slab. I suggest getting some Scotts Lawn Builder 25L Organic Lawn Soil Topdress & Underlay and filling in the gaps using a Saxon 14T Garden Rake. Once your turf has recovered you can then slowly decrease your watering schedule.

Let me tag our experienced member @Adam_W for his recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
saidandem
Getting Established

@EricLThank you for the response. Will definitely do the things as per you suggestion and will update in this post once I get noticeable results.

Once again Thank you :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects