Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaning timber retaining wall?

Shotime
Growing in Experience

How to fix leaning timber retaining wall?

Finally getting some nice weather in Auckland so time to work on the garden.

What's the solution to fix this lean in the retaining wall? Is it just digging the soil near the wall to relieve the stress? It has drainage and survived the recent flood but would rather take care of it now sooner rather than later.

385485968_1456814201833102_8202838604654890554_n.jpgThe lean is more pronouced near the end.

I should add, there appears to be cinderblocks very close to the retaining wall.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix leaning timber retaining wall?

Hi @Shotime,

A full assessment of the wall would be needed to determine why it is bowing outwards and suitable solutions. It's either that the stress on the wall has increased, it was not designed suitably to withhold the weight, or the timber is deteriorating. Unfortunately, simply digging out the soil behind the timber alone will not solve the issue, and the wall needs work done on it to resolve the issue. If the timber is not deteriorating, this might include adding more upright posts or, if it has, replacing posts.

Given the wall is holding back a significant amount of soil, I'd recommend that you have a professional verify the condition of the wall and offer solutions as to how it can be returned to a structurally sound state.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shotime
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fix leaning timber retaining wall?

Thanks Mitchell,

Getting a professional in for this is the best option for me.

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects