Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix noisy bore water pump?

diyallday
Getting Established

How to fix noisy bore water pump?

Hi,

I have a bore water pump with a cover similar to:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/polyslab-eucalyptus-diy-pump-cover-with-base_p4814200

It's fairly noisy. Is there a good sound-insulating foam I could use to across the inside of the cover to reduce the noise?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix noisy bore water pump?

Hello @diyallday 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing your noisy bore pump. Unfortunately, installing insulation will trap the ambient heat the pump generates and if the pump operates long enough it will overheat. Not installing the insulation means that it will generate a lot of noise. A double-sided situation indeed.

How old is the pump? If it is old enough, perhaps it's time for an upgrade? Is it generally just noisy or has the pump bearings been contaminated with water and squeals its head off when it starts to run? 

One other item I would like to suggest and that is to use Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi Use Foam Board to cover the outer hull of the pump cover. 

Let me call on our experienced members @dave1 and @DIYGnome for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Hello @diyallday I must concur with @EricL that reduced airflow will have a negative impact on the pump most especially during hot weather, thus the application of sound deadener to either the inside (or outside of the cover) will still be negated somewhat due to the cover ventilation openings, before adding the insulation (ensuring the ventilation ports are not restricted) there are environmental factors which should also be considered....

What is the size of the pressure tank (larger tanks reduce operation frequency)?

What pressure is the tank relay set to trigger (higher setting increases operation frequency)?

How is the pump mounted (mounting insulation)?

What surface is the pump resting on?

Additional reference

https://bettersoundproofing.com/soundproof-noisy-water-pump/

Thank you both for the suggestions.

It's a large pump with pvc piping, so the water flow and pump operation is causing the noise. These can't really be adjusted without limiting a steady flow to the sprinklers. It's not squealing and appears to be in good condition.

The pump is resting on a concrete base. As the noise is from the pump bearings and the water flow, it may not be worthwhile to mount it on insulation.

It's a shame I can't safely insulate it, but you're both right, this would risk pump damage.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects