Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix stone retaining wall & path cracks and gaps?

terrywang
Building a Reputation

How to fix stone retaining wall & path cracks and gaps?

I've asked about https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Garden/Correct-concrete-mix-for-holding-landscaping-rocks-in... how to repoint (add mortar mix between rock gaps) before back in Feb, finally I've got time to work on this problem :wink:

Some new question arise before carrying out the job, I'd appreciate to get expert advice before rolling. TIA

Is it recommended to fill the big gaps between rocks before filling with concrete mix?

Reason why: when pulling out the weeds, sands were pulled out together, so I reckon sands (or sand motor / cement mix) were used to fill the gaps up till the point where it is applicable to use mortar mix.

terrywang_0-1687228968923.png

Sands, lots of sands..

terrywang_1-1687228989178.png

terrywang
Building a Reputation

Re: Fixing bushrocks / sandstone retaining wall & path cracks and gaps

The situation seems to have worsened a bit, instead of remediate, is it better off ripping off the old mortar mix and rebalance / re-levelling the big rocks before adding sand mix and then mortar mix back in?

terrywang_0-1687229126971.png 

terrywang_2-1687229212055.png

^^^ worst part above (2 pictures)

terrywang_1-1687229172937.png

edge cracking off

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing bushrocks / sandstone retaining wall & path cracks and gaps

Hello @terrywang 

Some of the mortar filler between the rocks still look to be in good condition. I suggest using your best judgement when a particular piece needs to be fully replaced. In regards to rebalancing the rocks, again only if it looks like it is in a precarious position. Using sand and rocks to fill in the gaps should be sufficient, just make sure to seal the top generously with mortar.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects