Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of pests on camellias?

DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

How to get rid of pests on camellias?

Hi there, these little bugs have started to show up on lots of new shoots on my camellias. They don’t appear to be eating the leaves or shoots yet…..but do I need to be concerned and if so, what are they and how do a treat/prevent them? Otherwise, all healthy! Thanks

IMG_5441.jpeg

  

image.jpg

IMG_5442.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to get rid of pests on camellias?

Hello @DIYKeith,

Sorry to hear about your pest issue on your camellias. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to offer some suggestions on how to prevent them when he's back online later today. Let me also tag our garden experts @mich1972 and @Noelle for their thoughts in the meantime. 

Did you manage to have a read of the Bunnings guide Growing, pruning, and caring for camellias that @MitchellMc suggested in response to your query on how to trim camellias earlier this year? It's got a brief section on the type of pests that these plants generally attract which might come in handy while waiting to hear from our experts. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @DIYKeith looks like your Camellia has black Aphids attacking it. With aphids you can get your garden hose and spray them off as you see them. Otherwise spray them with a Pyrethrum spray. Please make sure you wear the appropriate protective clothing, mask, gloves when applying chemical spray in your garden and don’t spray during the day in the heat, apply early morning or evening 🪴😃

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Good call, @mich1972 , @DIYKeith !  Most definitely black aphids - sap suckers that can cause leaf blemishes.  They may also be on other host plants around your garden, so keep an eye out and control them asap, as previously recommended.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYKeith 

The last thing you want to happen is for the black aphids to get a foothold on your plants. Looking at the photos you posted it seems that it is still in very good condition and the infestation has just started. I would go with @mich1972 and @Noelle's advice to use a Pyrethrum insect spray and keeping an eye out for aphids on your other plants.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a proper mask when using the insecticide. Please make sure to follow all the safety precautions printed at the back of the product.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL  @Noelle @mich1972 @Akanksha . Stopped by Bunnings this afternoon and bought the Pyrethrum to spray this evening! Cheers 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects