Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of the black stuff on Hibiscus buds and flowers?

cc1002
Cultivating a Following

How to get rid of the black stuff on Hibiscus buds and flowers?

Hi there, there are a lot of black stuff on both the buds and flowers of Hibiscus. I suspected they were aphids then sprayed the insect pest killer on the photo below, but it seems not working. The black stuff are still there and have became eggs.  Can anyone  tell me what they are and how to get rid of them. Thank you in advance.

7EE0C2E1-8D74-4F7A-9CB9-4E5A35E55C5C.jpeg8AAD5659-E7DB-45D8-A74B-616ABEC3DB84.jpegF563BCEA-6A44-42EE-A560-019564655C9E.jpeg4FBA8249-C08E-4401-BA66-93496F611A78.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to get rid of the black stuff on Hibiscus buds and flowers?

Hi @cc1002,

Let me tag the always-helpful @Noelle to see if she can share some advice for dealing with your aphid infestation.

You might also find this Bunnings resource helpful for caring for your plants: How to grow and prune Hibiscus.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @cc1002 

You have certainly got a problem with aphids!  The product you have used will be successful, BUT you need to thoroughly wet the buds, stems, petals and leaves with it and you must make direct contact with the aphids on the undersides of petals and leaves as well.  Pyrethrum is a contact killer - that is, the pests need to be hit with the spray for it to be successful. The same applies to other organic pesticides like eco oil and neem.

The other thing is that aphids have a short life cycle, so you will need to spray every few days, to catch the next generation before it has the chance to mature and lay eggs.  Remember too that aphids can fly, so will come in from other host plants in your neighbourhood.

Regular attention every few days over a period of 3-4 weeks should see you gain the upper hand. As the weather cools, aphids will slowly disappear too.

cc1002
Cultivating a Following

Hi Noelle,

Thank you for your reply. it seems that I am on the right track but need to do it regularly. I will spray the tree twice a week to see how it goes. Thanks again.

cc

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cc1002

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Noelle

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Hibiscus healthy and free of insects. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects