Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow and care for this sick succulent?

Mave
Getting Established

How to grow and care for this sick succulent?

I have this plant for years, my son took it from Botanic Garden excursion 4 years ago.

It wasn't in good shape. For years it was growing ok.

It usually placed at the outdoor are with full sun condition.

It was all ok until this year, I guess humidity of the weather plus the big construction nearby.

I had 90% of my succulent dying at the same time.

I did change the soil into sand and put less water, in full sun condition.

Now I change back to soil again as we moved somewhere else. 

It does a bit improvement. But I would see there is Red edge around it.

Some said its too much sunlight....

I tried to save it. Do you guys have any suggestion? 

Temporary right now indoor next to the glass sliding door.

20221228_succulent.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to grow and care for this sick succulent?

Hello @Mave,

So sorry to hear about your sick plant. Let me tag our garden experts @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they have any suggestions on how to save it. @EricL should also be able to assist when he's back online later. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Mave 

Succulents tend to produce that red tinge around the margins of their leaves when they are exposed to excessive heat or too much direct sun. While bright natural light is important, direct sun and heat through the glass (inside the sliding door) may be just too much.  The brown spots may also indicate that it is getting burned through the glass. Move the plant so that it still gets good light but is not in the direct sun. Succulents are outside plants so find a spot for it outside where it gets early morning sun but isn't in direct sun during the hottest hours of the day over summer.

Rather than a normal potting soil, use a cactus and succulent mix that contains grit - it will still hold some moisture but will drain well.  Succulents do not like 'wet feet' - mix that stays quite moist for long periods after watering.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mave

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Noelle. Her advice on taking care of your succulent is spot on. Just follow the recommendations given and you should see an improvement in your succulent's health.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mave
Getting Established

Thanks @Noelle 

I already mix with cactus mix for the soil. The pot has been shifted somewhere less sunlight. 

Mave
Getting Established

Thanks for all, I will keep you guys update later on.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects