Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to help recovery of Lychee tree from frost?

Imran
Finding My Feet

How to help recovery of Lychee tree from frost?

20220628_073950.jpg

I got a lychee tree one month ago. Now the plant leave are drying out may be due to frost and winter, however the stem is not.  Now I  already place the frost  cover. What the best way to recover it.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recovery of Lychee tree from frosting

Hello @Imran

Thank you for sharing your question about your Lychee tree. Unfortunately, if Lychees are exposed to below-freezing temperatures for more than eight hours it will permanently damage the tree and could be fatal. At this point in time, it is difficult to tell if your Lychee tree can still recover from the frost. If your garage is enclosed and is insulated, I suggest placing the tree in that location to protect it from the cold temperatures at night. You can then bring it out in the morning for sunlight.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Recovery of Lychee tree from frosting

Agree with Eric - the frost-damaged leaves are not recoverable but you may be able to keep the tree alive by doing as Eric suggests. Keep the trees under cover at night so frost cannot settle on them and they are not exposed to cold winds and put them out in the sun during the day.

Lychees do best in warm climates where the danger of frost is minimal.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects