Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve clay soil for camellias?

oxana
Finding My Feet

How to improve clay soil for camellias?

Hi,

I love camellias, but only now decided to buy and plant one. I have a perfect spot, but the problem is the soil is not great, it's pH7 and has huge bits of what seems to be bricks, so it looks more like a clay soil. I was thinking if I might be able to dig out a 1 square meter or a bit more of soil and just replace it. So I was wondering if it's a good idea. If you can advise on what soil I should replace it with, or maybe I can just mix the existing soil with something like compost to improve it? 
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve clay soil for camellias?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @oxana. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your questions about suitable soil types for camellias.

You might like to start by mixing in some Richgro 15kg Natural Gypsum Clay Breaker or applying Multicrop 2.8L Groundbreaker Hose-On Soil Treatment And Clay Breaker. You can reduce the soil's current PH to around 6 - 6.5 with Manutec 1.5kg Sulphur Fine Granules. Compost will also assist in improving the soil.

If the soil is really rubbish or there is a solid clay layer, you might look to replace it. I'd recommend concentrating on a 60 x 60cm section and working more on the depth. If you can dig out to around 60cm deep, that would give the plant plenty of room to establish roots. Scotts Osmocote 25L Garden Soil Premium Planting Mix would be a good replacement mix, but I'd still encourage you to mix in some compost.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh Great! Thank you! 😃 60 cm depth I can definitely do that. What about cow manure? Do you think I can add it as well, or it will be too much?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@oxana,

You can add a small amount of cow manure, but don't go overboard. Perhaps 10% of the overall volume. I would recommend a quality controlled-release fertiliser once the plant has established, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, it helped a lot!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects