Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a new outlet for corrugated iron water tank?

Michael100
Getting Established

How to install a new outlet for corrugated iron water tank?

My reticulation pump is not getting a regular flow of water from my tank. The tank is currently full and the system has been working for fifteen years. I have replaced the pump in case it was the cause of the problem and I have tried passing rod into the tank through the current outlet. The rod will not go further than just inside the tank wall. 
Either the outlet has a U bend on the inside of the outlet or there is something solid blocking it.

So I am thinking my easiest work around would be to install a new outlet above the current one. The tank is about 2100 tall and 1500 diameter.

Any suggestions as to how I can do this?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a new outlet for corrugated iron water tank?

Hello @Michael100 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your reticulation system.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the connection of the reticulation system to your tank? This will give our members a good idea of how its set up. We can then make recommendations on how to install a new outlet. 

I'm wondering if there is another way to get to the blockage and save you from having to drill into the tank again. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Michael100 

I dont have a water tank just so you know :smile: Kinda want w=one yes and have followed waters all over the place finding out information about them.

Things I have found-

-They do silt up surpriingly tho. 

-stuff does grow in them, not just mossies lol

Have you forced water back up the outlet hole? (Thinkingif there is a turn of the pipe inside the tank this may be a workaround)

How big is the tank in liters? Is it possible to drain to see what is in the bottom and clean the tank at the same time?

Does the current outlet drip at all without it being connected to anything?

When pushing the rod into the tank are you passing through a tap or are you just pushing from the empty socket on the side of the tank whnere the pipe joins?

Last questions as always :smile: Is there a chance of a couple of photos to show the tank, the existing tap and the rod being used?

Id also like to say hello :smile: Welcome to the community, There are Loads of ideas in here for issues and guarenteed someone in here will go "ahhh Ive had the same issue"  

Looking forward to the answers so we can figure a way around it.

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Michael100 The easiest way to fit a new outlet is to use a corrugated fitting available in both Gal & PVC in a range of sizes to suit you pumps plumbing. I've used this method a couple of times now, however the fitting wasn't available at Bunnings. It may be available as a special order though.

Regards, Nailbag.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 11.01.39 pm.png

Thanks for your contribution. I do have the problem solved. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Michael100 

Wooohooo! :smile: 

Would you be sable to tell us what the issue was? More for people down the track that have the same type of problem. If not thats ok, I am just interested  for me one day as well.

"More cheering" 

Dave

Michael100
Getting Established

Thanks Eric and Dave-1 for your contribution. 

My tank is approx. 3500 litres standing at 2300mm. I was re-assembling the connection between the Ryobi 900W pump and the tank in order to take some photos, when I thought about how careful I was when I pushed the rod into the tank.

Because I had nothing to lose I gave the steel rod a firm tap with a hammer and lo and behold I was drenched with a jet of water. But I had a big wet grin. I repeated the action several times until I could no longer feel anything blocking the outlet and was completely saturated. It is surprising how much pressure is produced by a full tank of water.

I will wait until the tank is empty to investigate what was causing the blockage. Meanwhile thank you your assistance it was much appreciated

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Michael100 

Thanks for sharing the good news! It's great that you've managed to clear out the blockage. I believe getting drenched is a small price to pay for not having to drill through your tank and adding another outlet. I agree with your next step, an investigation on the cause of the blockage is worth looking into. Once you find out why it got blocked you can take steps to prevent it from happening again.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

hahahaha @Michael100

I can see you doing a happy dance with the water splashing everywhere! :smile: 

Good to see and thank you for letting us know.

You could always vacumn the silt like I do when the pools silt has built up and needs cleaning, except use a large diameter hose and start the syphon first then put the head of it into the silt near the outlet. (Attach the hose head to a piece of timber to keep it straight.) and water your garden/lawn with that rich silted walter!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects