Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a second tap away from an existing garden tap?

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

How to install a second tap away from an existing garden tap?

G'day everyone.

I have a garden tap in my back yard that is fed from a water tank and pressure pump.

From that, I have an 18mm garden hose buried under the ground to about 20 meters away.

From there I have another section of hose via a joiner, so I can move around the far end of the yard with a hose.

Is it possible to install a new tap where the hose comes up from the ground 20meters away and have the pressure of the original tap always on, so it feeds the second tap? All of this via the standard garden hose and fittings.

I'd rather not dig a long trench and put pressure pipe, due to obstacles, but is that the realistic option?

Any tips on placing a new tap and being able to use it at will without going to the original would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How Do I create a second yard tap from an existing garden tap.

Hi @

Any new tape will  reduce pressure from the other  hoses if they are flowing at the same time, And a garden setting dosnt need a pressure hose unless that pump is a extra high pressure model.

You can put a  post in the ground to mount a regular  tap on it . That  tap can have dual or 4x multitap outlet   

I use  this sort of multi tap  with wifi controller in my front yard which is handy but your choice

GARDENA Twin Tap Connector 

I/N: 3130366

$38.93

So you can leave your main valve open suppling this tap and turn each one on and off  locally to the  tap

Alternatly you can use a simple hose y junction and have the hand sets with  water shut off instead of a  tape.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How Do I create a second yard tap from an existing garden tap.

It's no issue to use a soft connection method, as you've stated @Aussie-Garden. The easiest option would be to install a post, mount a Kinetic 15mm Brass Back Plated Tap on it and then screw on a tap adaptor. The tap adaptor will allow you to click your hose onto the tap.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects