Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install an irrigation or watering system for the garden?

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

How to install an irrigation or watering system for the garden?

Hi All...

We will be away cruising in December and wanted to make sure that out potted plants were watered during our time away.

We decided that we would "try" to install a water system and after many attempts at different Wi-Fi connected systems, we finally got this one working with the ORBIT BHyve system Hub and Timer...

BHyve HubBHyve Hub

BHyve TimerBHyve Timer

As you can see by the timer, it appears to be a 12mm connection..>!!

When I was at the local Bunnings, I seem to remember that I was told to get the 19mm tubing and connectors, but that would make things a little difficult to connect to the timer..!!

The water filter is definitely a 19mm system..??

FilterFilter

and as we need the system to be split down both side of our house I thought we needed a splitter and this also appears to be 19mm..

SplitterSplitter

How I assumed it would all fit together is like this image... BUT I cannot seem to think what would be missing and needed to complete the setup.>!!!!!!!!!

ConnectionsConnections

Of course the ONLY tap I can connect this all to already has a splitter with the garden hose attached... So I would have to use the other side of the splitter at the tap then split later as well to get the tubing to both sides of the house..!!!! 

Tap ConnectionTap Connection

QUESTION: Would it be easier to take the current 19mm tubing back to store and replace with 12mm tubing and if so would this be a better option for water flow than the 19mm.??? OR.. what do I need to do to complete the whole thing in 19mm..???

Looking forward to EVERY and ALL suggestions to help me fix this dilemma..!!!

Cheers

Julius

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install an irrigation or watering system for the garden?

Hi @Jolly181,

Apologies for the slow reply. Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you when he is back on the site later today.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Thank Jason.. I will wait patiently for Eric to come back to me..!!  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jolly181 

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've found an ORBIT BHyve system Hub and Timer that works for you. Have you made any decision about whether you are going to use a drip system or a spray set? If you've not yet decided, I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to plan drip irrigation - Layout & zones? by @tanveersattar. This is a great example of a well thought out irrigation system with controllers and timers.

The initial parts you've lined up look ideal and can be used for your system. But before starting, I suggest drawing out a pipe plan on paper so that you'll have a very good idea of where it will need to pass and how much material you'll need to use. I also recommend having a quick look at this guide - How to install a drip irrigation watering system by @Adam_W.

I propose giving your plan a bit of a ponder to make sure that the parts you'll be choosing will be compatible with each other. Once you've made your plan, I recommend sharing it with the community. We'll be more than happy to provide advice and information.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jolly181 

I'm so sorry, I missed answering your question about the matching connections of your fittings. The ORBIT BHyve system Hub and Timer has standard garden hose fittings. This means that it links up to your garden hose. The water filter you've chosen works with barbed end irrigation systems which is different from garden fittings.

The splitter you've chosen is for garden hose fittings as well and will not work with irrigation hoses. In order to make things streamlined and compatible the garden hose fitting of the BHyve must be replaced with a Pope 19mm Nut And Tail - To Suit 20/25mm Garden Tap. The BHyve can then be connected to the water filter using Holman 19mm x 25m Black Poly Pipe in combination with Toro 19mm Poly Ratchet Clamp.

I propose exchanging your splitter with a Toro 19mm Single Barbed Tee which you can then connect controllers on either side. The Tee can be connected to the filter using the same Poly Pipe and clamp fittings.

Going forward you'll need to do a bit of research as to the amount of water you want on your plants. I strongly recommend having a look at this guide - How to install a drip irrigation watering system by @Adam_W. This will help you figure out how to set up an irrigation system in combination with your wi-fi controller.

Unfortunately, garden fittings and irrigation fittings are not compatible and if you are planning on a large system that will be used for an extended period its best to use irrigation fittings.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.  

Eric

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

@EricL  Thank Eric..

You have given me a better understanding of WHAT is required and the connections I need... I will get back to you if I have any more concerns, but otherwise I will  send images of the end result.!!

Thanks again

Cheers

Julius

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

@EricL Hi Eric that first hyperlink to the Pope 19mm Nut and Tail gives me an error msg saying page cannot be found..???

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jolly181 

Please try this link instead - Pope Nut and Tail

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Eric

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

@EricL Thank Eric.. That worked..!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects