Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install drainage in backyard?

hollyelphinston
Just Starting Out

How to install drainage in backyard?

DEC72B1E-063A-4172-8573-8CD60BC6FF00.jpeg

what is going to best way to add some drainage in here? I was thinking a drainage grate but it appears that is best for concreted areas like pools and driveways. How do agipipes work? Do they need to connect to anything or can you just lay them in the ground and they absorb the water and slowly release it? The area is yet to be filled with topsoil but would like to get some sort of drainage sorted before doing so.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install drainage in backyard?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hollyelphinston. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about backyard drainage.

Adding AGI pipe down the length of the side of the house would be an excellent way to capture this water. The basic premise is that a trench is dug, the AGI pipe is placed at the bottom of it, and then the trench is backfilled with aggregate. The pipe is laid on a slope to divert water to the end of it. This water could be then distributed over an area, or in most cases, it's best to connect the line to your stormwater which will carry the water off the property. Have a read through this helpful step-by-step guide: How to install garden drainage.

As you've mentioned, it would certainly be prudent to complete this work before filling the area with topsoil.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Awesome thanks for your quick response! Where would be the best place to put the agipipe? In the centre, closer to the right or closer to left/house? Thank you!

I'd aim for around the pipe lying 50cm from the wall @hollyelphinston. That way, there's no chance of it interfering with the house slab, but then all the water that runs toward the house will be captured by it. 

Sorry, I didn't notice before, but you have stormwater pipes from the gutters, which you can connect into. Given the pipe is midway down the side of the house, I'd have both ends of the pipe slightly elevated, so the water runs to the middle and down the stormwater. You can use a tee-section joiner to join the two lengths of pipe into the stormwater.

Mitchell

kennymc
Finding My Feet

I would sort this asap as water should not be sitting up against your house like that, especially if it’s a waffle pod slab with any form of reactive soil. I Highly recommend getting a professional in to put in a concrete perimeter around your house with fall away from your house and drainage in the middle and then an agg pipe on the outside of the concrete perimeter to capture any water coming from next door. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kennymc 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thanks for joining the discussion.

It is a bit of a worry when water sits at the side of your house whenever you have a bit of rain. You can clearly see from the way the ground is sloping that the water is falling on a slope. It's come to the point that the top of the fence post concrete footing is now visible due to the water erosion. I totally agree with you that this needs to be addressed and repaired as soon as possible.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hollyelphinston 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @kennymc and @MitchellMc. I strongly advise that you have this looked at by a registered builder or a professional repair person who is familiar with this type of situation. The constant rain and erosion can clearly be seen by the slope that has developed along your side of the house. I totally agree with the suggested repair option to put a concrete perimeter with a fall and install the appropriate drainage to re-direct the water away from your house.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how it might look like. Please keep in mind that the longer the water stays the more possible damage it could inflict on the base of your home. For a quick temporary solution, I recommend digging a trench in front of the large puddle so that the water drains away.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@hollyelphinston 

one more thing I'd recommend you check is if the existing downpipes are properly discharging the water. They might be clogged up, or (if the previous person did a shoddy job) not connected at all to the stormwater system. I've seen many cases (in the US, via YouTube) where downpipes simply drained into the garden bed.

Although I have seen solutions that just concreted over the affected area, it seems a drastic and escalated solution. If you can get away with agi pipe that would be my preferred solution as it leaves you options to green the space if you want to in the future. But do speak to a professional to get their opinion.

As already mentioned, your main aim is to defend the house against water, especially with more La Nina events forecasted in the future. Good luck!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects