Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install weed matting with pot plants?

cbro
Finding My Feet

How to install weed matting with pot plants?

I want to know whether it is best to cut the matting under the potted plant (dwarf citrus) to allow for better drainage.  The matting says it allows water to flow but it's my first time laying it so I don't know how well it let's water flow. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install weed matting with pot plants

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cbro. It's incredible to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about weed matting.

Could you please provide more details about how you are using the weed matting, as I'm not sure if I follow correctly? Are you sitting a pot that contains a dwarf citrus on top of weed matting? If so, what's the reason for laying weed matting under a potted plant?

Weed matting generally allows a significant amount of water to flow through it. However, I'd like to know a little more about how you're are using it before advising further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

You have understood correctly; I am putting the pot straight on weed matting.  I'm laying white stone in that section of the garden and using the weed matting for under the stones. I'm just wondering if I'm best to cut the matting where the pot will go to allow for further drainage.  

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That makes sense now, @cbro.

You'll be fine placing the pot directly onto the pebbles that have weed mat underneath, no need to cut it. Even if the weed mat doesn't initially allow the water to flow straight through, it will just spread out into the pebbles.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects