Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to kill borer beetle in lemon tree?

Em1
Just Starting Out

How to kill borer beetle in lemon tree?

FE250928-774E-4647-A4F8-E66FCB30AF91.jpeg

 I have borer nettle in my lemon tree majority of tree affected any recommendations on products I could use or is it going to die

74995EAD-5D27-4EE4-BEA1-55BCF297827B.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to kill borer beetle in lemon tree?

Hi @Em1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about borer beetles.

Borer beetles are the most destructive insect that I'm familiar with next to termites. Sadly once they invade a piece of furniture or tree, it is next to impossible to get rid of them. First, you can't tell how deeply they've tunnelled into the wood. Second, a single hole may represent dozens of tunnels interconnecting. Have a look at this discussion - Tree borers - by @swanny

Looking at your photo the borers have made themselves at home. It will now be only a matter of time before they eat that tree inside out. You could put up a fight if you wish. Several drops of methylated spirits into the holes and then sealed with timbre sealer. Depending on the infestation you could get another season out of it. 

However,  the consequences of an out of control infestation of borer beatles is too scary to think of. Spraying insecticide on the tree will only kill the surface borers and will not reach the borers that are inside the tree. Check your other trees in the area for borers and see if they've been infested.

Let me tag our experienced members @BradN, @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: How to kill borer beetle in lemon tree?

@Em1 aaarrgghhh... hate borer!
You can make a wire skewer and physically stab and remove them (yes, gross, but effective) or I have found pyrethrum spray, just in a ready-to-use spray pack very effective. Turn the nozzle to jet not fan and then flood the hole with the spray. Chances are you'll find the borer drops out almost straight away.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects