Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to kill kikuyu in couch and buffalo lawns?

Elle2
Getting Established

How to kill kikuyu in couch and buffalo lawns?

Hi all, I'm trying to free my lawns from weeds.

At the front I have couch and back buffalo. Kikuyu is growing on both of them and I can't find a selective herbicide. However, I noticed that amgrow winter grass is suitable for couch but not Kikuyu. I also have winter grass, if I spray this product, will I take care of both weeds in my couch and buffalo? 

Thanks!! 👍 Elle

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kill Kikuyu on couch and buffalo lawns

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Elle2. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the control of Kikuyu grass. 

Amgrow 100ml Winter Grass Killer is not registered as a herbicide for the removal of Kikuyu grass. However, as you've noted, it is not suitable for use on a lawn containing Kikuyu. This is due to the damage it can cause to that type of lawn. You might find that it doesn't kill the Kikuyu entirely, but it's certainly not going to be particularly healthy after the application. If you also have Winter grass and need to remove that, then I see no reason you couldn't try the product. 

One of the most effective ways to remove Kikuyu grass from a buffalo lawn is by hand. Use a garden fork or a hand trowel to dig out the Kikuyu grass patches, making sure to remove all the roots. This method can be time-consuming but is effective, especially for small patches. If the Kikuyu grass has spread throughout your couch and buffalo lawns, you may need to use chemical control. A Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush can come in handy here to directly apply herbicide to the Kikuyu. 

To prevent the Kikuyu grass from returning, it is essential to keep your lawn healthy and well-maintained. Ensure that you water, fertilise, and aerate your lawn regularly, and remove any weeds as soon as they appear. Here's a helpful guide on How to repair a lawn

When using chemical products, remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses, gloves, enclosed footwear and a long-sleeved shirt and trousers.

I'll be interested to hear how you go. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elle2
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell, thanks so much for the warm welcome and your thorough explanation, it really helps to understand how each tool and herbicide works!

I thought of using a normal paint brush and undiluted herbicide, that kills grass, because I diluted and sprayed to the ones growing also on the pavers and the bugger didn't die!  I have a feeling that my lawn mower man is bringing weeds to my lawn, but what can you do? 🤷‍♀️ I want to keep on top so it doesn't get worse.

Cheers!! Elle

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A normal paintbrush will work @Elle2. Just make sure you return it to the pot used for the herbicide, and don't let it drip all over your lawn.

It's always tempting to apply herbicides neat, I know I've done this before. It's easy to think of mixing with water as dilution to a weaker mix, but it's not as simple as that. Not mixing the herbicide does not necessarily mean it will be more effective; you'll just use more of the product. The mixing rates have been specifically formulated to give you the best results, and the water element is essential in the plant absorbing the herbicide. If applying the herbicide neat worked better, that's what the manufacturer would recommend. It would also mean you'd use more of their product, and they'd make more sales. You might even find that the herbicide is less effective without the water. What would work better is doing two applications spaced out by a few days. Check the instructions to see how long the product will take to work, and if the weeds haven't died off by then, do another application.

I'll be keen to hear how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elle2
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell, ok, will have a look at the bottle, I have some left of the yates Zero concentrated, I had mixed on a 5L spray bottle for the pavers. I will do a smaller mix for this, since I'll be sitting there with a brush. My neighbours will think I'm crazy, lol
It's a good point that you made about using more of the product if undiluted, we think that if not mixed with water it would be even more effective/stronger! 

Will report back after I get this done, thanks!! :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects