Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to kill weeds amongst my roses?

Marten
Cultivating a Following

How to kill weeds amongst my roses?

C1C1C280-FE2E-47A7-88DB-58357939B1B2.jpeg

Hi there, 

although I have spread mulch in my rose bed, still weeds are popping up. Could you please let me know which weed killer  can I use for weeds while keep my roses safe. Weeds are coming up everywhere amongst roses foots.  

A8B088D0-DC12-4E46-98D0-973AE243F462.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to kill weeds amongst my roses

Hi  again @Marten 

You have the exact same  problem as me currently and I just did a solution I hope you like too.

Wear water proof gloves I poor some herbacide poison into  a tall jar and mix 50% water(high strength) I also add 2 drops of liquid dishwashing detergent as it allows the poison water mix to be painted on the weeds leaf and wets it ( dosnt form a droplet and rolls off).  No need to paint whole weed as solution is high strength. wash the brush and screw lid on  jar Please label it clearly as poison and store safely.

So very simply walk around your roses  once a week and dab one leaf sparingly of each weed with a smear of poison on a clear sunny day no rain forecast. A week later they should be wilting.

This  idea lets you poison very selectivly amongst treasured plants.

I still use zero or yates Glyphosate based weed killer as long as you arnt touching it it is safe.  

I wouldnt let my chickens in that area for a week .  If you cant temporary fence them out then manual weeding is your only recourse a fantastic weeder is  

Fiskars 4 Prongs Xact Weed Puller  I/N: 2970049 $84.95   

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-4-prongs-xact-weed-puller_p2970049

Ps I notice some browning leaves on a couple of your roses  possible fungal  condition I highly recommend Yates  rose shield broard  range rose protector for Black spot. Aphids. two spotted mites Thrips powery mildew.  rust, caterpillars.

Marten
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

YOU ARE THE LIFE SAVER!

Sure I will do your solution. 
Same as “Weed ’n’ Feed” which you can spray anywhere in your loan without being worry to dry the loans and it kills weeds selectively, I was hoping to find same solution for my rose and veggie beds. 

But it seems I should roll up my sleeves and put on gloves :bigsmile:

Fortunately my chickens 🐔 don’t have access to this area and they have their own private garden :smile: Chicky chicks! 

Hi @Marten   Yes we  like your chickens whats not to like so want them happy and safe.

For your information zero or yates Glyphosate based weed killer will kill almost any plant please  use it very selectivly and dont splash it around a  single paint brush touch on one leaf away from other plants should be effective. Re touch weed in two weeks if it still alive.  Dont spray this stuff around like  weed and feed it will kill everything.

another reason paint brush works is applies directly where needed where as a sprayer will mist and hit nearby plants even on a non windy day.

Less is more as  we need to protect the roses.

The paint brush is  good on mature weeds developing seeds too the  poison  it hopefully kill the seeds to before they fall.

Hello @Marten

That is an excellent suggestion coming from @Jewelleryrescue. Selective poisoning beats weed pulling any time. Just remember not to get too close to the roses as their root system is quite sensitive. When you are getting very close to the rose and weeds are near the stem, I suggest pulling them out manually. 

In the interest of safety, please make sure to place all your garden chemicals in your shed on a high shelf where children can't reach them. Please make sure to wear safety gloves, goggles and a dust mask when using chemicals in your garden.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects