Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay synthetic grass?

hasansheikh
Finding My Feet

How to lay synthetic grass?

Hi guys,

Need some advice, I'm thinking to put a synthetic grass on side way and front yard. There are mostly lava rocks there. Do I have to remove those before or should I mix it up with something as underlay for the grass? which material would be best in that case? There's 10mm depth.

Thanks,

Hasan 

street1.jpgstreet2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laying a synthetic grass

Hi @hasansheikh,

I trust you'll find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay synthetic turf. It covers everything you need to know. Check out the video below for more specific surface preparation requirements.

The lava rocks would be unsuitable as a base as the surface will be uneven and they are extremely hard. It's important that the ground is smooth and flat and I'd advise you to level the area and remove some of the lava rock to increase the depth you have to work with. It's advised to spread 60-70mm of roadbase across the area and level it before compacting. You'll then apply a 20mm covering of sand, level it and compact that as well.

This will give you the best sub-base to work with and ensure the correct installation of the product.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for the help. Let me get the stuff then :smile:  Cheers 

Keep us updated @hasansheikh, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects