Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to look after Rhododendron plants?

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

How to look after Rhododendron plants?

I have a few rhododendron plants in my garden, some of them had been attacked by fungus last year.

I sprayed copper solution a few times at regular intervals. 
Would like you to see it in the uploaded photo and advice if the plant is disease free.

I can see some buds on it, don’t know if they are flower buds or leaf buds.  The flowers in the photo below are tulip bulbs.

RhododendronRhododendronRhododendronRhododendron

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to look after Rhododendron plants?

Hi @Ngnra,

The white speckling on the leaves is likely a fungal infection called powdery mildew. Is this the fungus you were treating last year? If this is a new issue, then it looks like you'll need to hit it again with the copper-based fungicide. While you're at it, remove and dispose of any leaf litter at the base of the plant, as that's often where these fungal attacks arise from.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members, @Noelle, @Adam_W and @BradN, to get their thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ngnra and @MitchellMc 

Silvering of the leaves of azaleas and rhododendrons  can sometimes also be caused by mites, which suck sap from the undersides of the leaves causing bleaching on the upper surface. This could be the cause of the whitish appearance.

If it wipes off on your fingers then it is likely to be a fungal problem; if it stays in place then check the undersides of the leaves for microscopic pests.

Usually a systemic insecticide (one that is absorbed into the foliage and circulates through the sap system) is the most effective control for pests like mites. However, you may have problems finding one for home garden use. If so, then a general insecticide like pyrethrum sprayed on to the pests on the underneath of leaves may be effective.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise, @Ngnra. @Noelle is correct; it's much more likely to be mites now that I look at it again. That's why you call in the horticultural experts! 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply; I have Yates’s Conqueror which I bought a few years ago. Can I use it to spray the rhododendrons?

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ngnra 

The product you have should do a reasonable job on the mites affecting your rhododendron.  It is essential that, when applying it, you thoroughly wet both upper and undersides of leaves, as these pests may be found on either.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects