Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to look after my indoor plants?

sunayanaH
Finding My Feet

How to look after my indoor plants?

Hi..

I am new in gardening. I have got 2 indoor plants Peace lily and Paradise Poly. I would like to have as much information as possible, please. What potting mix is good, watering plants , light requirement, other important things for looking after. 

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Indoor plants

Hi @sunayanaH,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us and I trust you will get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your gardening adventures from our amazing members.

The Bunnings D.I.Y. advice How to grow and care for a peace lily should contain everything you need to ensure your peace lily grows and prospers. 

Could you please share a photo of the plant you are referring to as "Paradise Poly"? Is it Polyanthus? Once we determine what it is then we are more than happy to assist with how to care for it. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It says, "Primula Acaulis"

IMG_0610.jpg

Many thanks for the extra detail and photo @sunayanaH.

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle who might like to share her thoughts on the best conditions and how to best look after the plant so it will thrive under your watch. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @Jason 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @sunayanaH 

Welcome to the world of indoor plants! 

When it comes to temperature, if you are comfortable then you plants will be too - not too hot and not too cold.  Keep plants away from heating/cooling ducts or vents so they aren't blasted with warm or cold air. Heated and air conditioned houses may have very dry air, which isn't great for indoor plants.  A light misting with tap water via a spray bottle over the leaves once a day will keep the air around them a little more humid/

Good light is essential but not direct sun on the leaves through a window because that could burn them.  Either have them behind a light curtain or further into a room so they still have plenty of natural light.

Use a potting mix formulated specially for indoor plants, like Osmocote Professional Indoor Potting Mix, which doesn't contain any composted material that could become the perfect breeding ground for fungus gnats (tiny black flies). It's made from coir fibre (ground coconut husk) that is not fungus gnat friendly.

Your plants should be watered only when they need it - when the top 5cm or so of mix feels dry to the touch. Use your index finger to check the mix for moisture. Make sure to empty excess water out of saucers about half an hour after watering. If the potting mix is watered too often, your plants could rot.

Use a water soluble or liquid plant food for indoor plants once a month to keep plants healthy. Follow label instructions as to how to dilute and use.

Above all, don't mollycoddle your indoor plants - most die from too much attention rather than not enough 😃.

Thank you @Noelle . Someone told me only rainwater or distilled water for peace Lilly plant. Is that true? 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @sunayanaH 

No, it isn't.  Some believe that mains water with chlorine and fluoride in it may affect indoor plants. I've never found that to be the case even with super sensitive plants.

However, if you are concerned, then fill a jug or watering can with tap water and leave it to stand for an hour or two before watering your plants. Any chlorine and fluoride will evaporate from it in that time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects