Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a seedling planting system for tree planters?

ashriyavarri
Growing in Experience

How to make a seedling planting system for tree planters?

Hi Team, 

I'm reaching out to the community out there that I believe can help me as I am very stuck in the DIY project for my school work. My DIY prokect focuses on developing an innovative seed planting system designed to assist the tree planters in their vital work and make their days easier, efficient, and less physically demanding.

I know the dedication and hard work they pour into tree planting. They're out there in all weather conditions, challenging terrain, and putting their physical well-being on the line to bring new life to our planet which is truly inspiring.

However, I also understand the physical labour this work takes. Bending, lifting, digging , these repetitive tasks can lead to fatigue, aches, and even long-term injuries. That's where my system comes in.

I'm envisioning a system that can:

• Reduce your physical workload: Imagine a system that handles the heavy lifting, digging, and planting, freeing you up for more strategic tasks and supervision.
  • Increase planting efficiency: Precise seed placement, automated hole digging, and optimized spacing – my system could help you plant more trees, faster, and with less wasted effort.
  • Adapt to different conditions: Whether you're working with seedlings or seeds, on flat ground or steep slopes, my system could adjust to the environment and your needs.
  • Provide real-time data: Monitor seed/seedling health, water levels, and potential threats remotely, allowing you to make informed decisions and optimize your work.

I'm still in the development stage, but I'm eager to hear directly from you, the experts. Your insights are invaluable in shaping this system into a truly impactful tool for the tree planters out there. 

Thank you for your time and dedication,

Ashriya Varri

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a DIY Seedling Planting System for Tree Planters

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ashriyavarri. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about designing a tree planter.

Sounds like a great assignment! A good place to start would be by checking out several of the commercially available products and noting their features and benefits. You can then take the best elements from each and combine them into your version. Below, I've designed a simplistic unit for you that allows the seedlings to be placed within the central tube. There are foot mounts to apply pressure to the unit and push the spiked end into the ground. Once inserted, the lever handle activates the spike and opens it, pushing the soil aside and allowing the seedling to slide out into the hole.

A straight pole planter like this has many merits, especially when accessing isolated locations and needing to pack it in or over rocky terrain. I'm sure if you use some of the ideas I've presented and put your own spin on it, you'll end up with a functional device.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Mitchell,

I appreciate your thoughtful response and the straightforward model you provided. However, I'm unable to create something identical to the one mentioned above as it is designed for my HSC and probably have 8 months of time left. I believe a similar solution already exists.The current issue lies in the physical strain faced by tree planters due to their planting methods. My focus not only getting the seedlings into the ground but also on ensuring the seedlings receiving adequate water. As they are actually solving the deforestation problem by planting them quickly within a snap of seconds however they are purely relying on natural resources such as rain to provide them the water they need - hence the chances of the seedlings actually growing is less - which puts their hardwork into vain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68TTuQ5hJk&t=1s - Here is a quick video on how their job looks like. 

That's understandably @ashriyavarri.

I trust our knowledgeable members will be more than happy to assist with your project. Feel free to post any questions you have so they can provide guidance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects