Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a walkway look like a river?

JTrip
Just Starting Out

How to make a walkway look like a river?

I want to create a walkway that looks like a water feature for my Japanese inspired garden project. I want to use these stones from bunnings as the water. Any ideas?  

5C1D4EC9-AF7E-4D7B-B247-0D81D9BDF071.jpeg

026EA6C3-E6E5-4F4E-B3AC-F10540C07850.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to make a walkway look like a river?

Looking forward to seeing this project come together @JTrip. Let me tag @Yorky88@Adam_W  and @royq to see if they might have some tips and ideas for you. 

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with our members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @JTrip. What a fantastic project, I'd be happy to give you some ideas.

To achieve the river theme, the use of convincing pebble and planting material will be the key to its success. I would start by laying 40mm of Brunnings Landscape Paver Sand over the area. You can then place your paving stones how you would like the river to run. I recommend you lay them close together to achieve a continuous river look.

For the infill pebbles at the bottom of the river (around the stepping stones) a pebble of around 10-20mm would look great. Bulk quantities of 10mm Loose River Gravel can be delivered to your home. Along the banks, you might use 20-40mm natural mix pebbles as they are a larger size pebble and will look authentic. 50-80mm Moon Stones could add more variation.

To keep with the river theme when planting, you could use a mix of Alphonse BambooChinese Money PlantSpider PlantFruit Salad Plant or Colorama Dracaena. These are just a few examples, but there are many more to choose from and I'm sure our creative community members will have some great ideas to share.

We look forward to seeing your river pathway come together. If you have any questions about the products I have suggested, please feel free to ask.

Mitchell

river.jpg

That's awesome, I loved @JTrip 's project and also @MitchellMc solutions and tips! 
The drawing is actually similar from what I'd imagined! 

Another plant I love next to water features is the Colocasia! 

@ludequech,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. We're really pleased to have you as one of our latest community members and look forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Perhaps you have similar ideas for your garden?

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand around the house and garden or have something to share. We have clever and creative members sharing home improvement advice, information and inspiration on the site every day so we're sure you'll find Workshop very useful.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects