Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make spindle of Ozito 1500W 360mm Corded Lawn Mower rotate freely?

khoan
Just Starting Out

How to make spindle of Ozito 1500W 360mm Corded Lawn Mower rotate freely?

IMG_9567.jpgIMG_9568.jpg

I found out that the motor would heat up because the spindle that rotates the cutting blade puts up a lot of resistance against being spun. But the spindle doesn't offer as much resistance rotating in the opposite rotation.

I couldn't open the nut on the other side of the cutting blade, so couldn't get to the bottom of what causing great resistance to one direction of rotation but not the other.

Please share any tips to repair.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make spindle of Ozito 1500W 360mm Corded Lawn Mower rotate freely?

Hello @khoan 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your Ozito mower.

I do not recommend making any modifications to your Ozito electric mower. Not only can it possibly cause injury, but it can also lead to an electrical fault.  

The Ozito mower has been designed in that fashion. If there is grass or debris caught in the spindle of the blade it is free to rotate so that you can untangle it. The motor only overheats if the mower is forced to cut very tall thick grass. 

If the mower is cutting short grass the motor will get warm which is natural for electrical appliances. Non-stop extensive use will also make the motor very hot so it's important to give the mower time to cool down after heavy use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
khoan
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric.

I took off the poly V-belt PJ457/180J belt (I think, the part number is 340015001029_00) and verified the big belt pulley (I think, the part number is 340015001022_00) wouldn't want to rotate in the direction that cuts grass, but would rotate more easily in the reversed rotation.

The grass is about 10 cm. The mower's been ok until today, where it'd stop after approximately 5 minutes of use. When heat sink of motor is cool enough to be held with my bare hand, I would resume mowing, but it'd stall after about 5 minutes.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @khoan 

That is a bit of worry if the unit begins to heat up after five minutes and fails in the same amount of time. If you still have your original docket, I propose checking to see if you can still claim your warranty on the unit.

However, if it is outside the warranty period, I suggest bringing it to a lawnmower repair shop that is capable of repairing electrical gardening equipment. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects