Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make weatherproof outdoor connection of water feature to solar?

joe_edgell
Getting Established

How to make weatherproof outdoor connection of water feature to solar?

Hi.

I'm looking at outdoor water features that all seem to have connection for mains electricity. I'd like to extend the cable and connect one to solar, but I'm not sure how to do it to make sure it's safe and weatherproof. 

I'm looking at this one in particular: https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuscan-path-36-x-33-x-91cm-water-magic-panya-fountain_p2810331 

The water feature, cable and solar panel would all be exposed to weather, rather than undercover.

Does anyone know what sort of solar kit would be suitable and how i do the weatherproof connection?

The solar panel could either be mounted on a stake in a garden bed or up on top of a post supporting our patio.

I would've thought more of these sorts of water features would have a solar option!!

Alternatively, i could run it a really long complex route up posts, eaves and walls to get to.an undercover mains power socket, but either way, i need an extension so would prefer to go solar.

Thanks in advance.

images (31).jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make weatherproof outdoor connection of water feature to solar?

Hello @joe_edgell 

I propose using the AQUAPRO AP960SP Solar Pump & Panel Kit, it has a powerful pump and is designed for outdoor use. The pump itself will be submerged and the solar panel is meant to be left outside in the open. The only part that is in direct sunlight that might get damaged is the cable.

To protect the cable, I suggest using DETA 20mm x 20m Medium Duty Corrugated Conduit. It will protect the cable between the pump and the solar panel from the weather. It will also prove a deterrent to any wandering possums that might mistake the cable as a tasty snack. 

Let me call on our experienced members @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @joe_edgell and @EricL no need to run all around the garden bed. Being solar it will ELV Extra Low Voltage.All you need is some inline crimps or the inline solder crimps and some Raychem (glue filled) heat shrink.

Offset you joins on your positive and negative , crimp each wire post to post, neg to neg but don't forget to slide on your heat shrink first, personally I like to heat shrink over the splices individualy and then one over the whole lot that way it's double sealed. On the ends get your pliers whilst it's still hot and lightly crimp it so the glue comes out. And that it really.

If for any reason it's 240v don't do this method as it doesn't apply to mains power. 

1000010010.jpg

1000010011.jpg

  

1000010012.jpg

joe_edgell
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL and @CSParnell 

I'll look at both options.

The splicing and heat wrap looks like the sort of thing I'd make a mess of and don't really know what I'm doing! Plus don't have a heat gun, but I'll see.

Solar pump kit looks nice and easy but the more expensive option. I'll check the pump wi fit submerged in this small water feature and that there is enough cable length.

I'll let you know if I run into any issues or will post a pic once it's done.

Thanks for the tips.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects