Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair Ryobi Silent Shredder model RSH2445T - Bearing replacement?

PhilGorman
Finding My Feet

How to repair Ryobi Silent Shredder model RSH2445T - Bearing replacement?

After 6 years occasional use my shredder started making a metallic noise resembling bearing failure when it wasn't under load. Removing the front cover revealed 3 of the set screws holding the steel face plate to the cover were missing & the 4th was loose. The drive shaft & white metal bearing looked OK.  There was about 1mm of play in the shaft without the face plate.

I replaced the set screws using Locktight, greased the drive shaft & re-assembled.

The shredder still sounds as though the main bearings are shot whether under load or not.

Is this repairable?

Are replacement bearings available?

I would also like to know if the sacrificial aluminium shaving plateP1090174_v1.png

is still a spare part.

The RSH2445T has performed very well to date. I expected to get >12 years out of this machine so I am disappointed in its longevity

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ryobi Silent Shredder model RSH2445T. Bearing replacement.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PhilGorman. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ryobi shredders.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with your shredder.

I'll contact Ryobi after the weekend to find out whether replacement bearings are available. The shaving plate is not available as a spare part. To assess whether the unit is repairable, you'd need to enlist a professional that services this type of machinery.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your swift response Mitchell; on a Sunday too.

I'm surprised and disappointed that a sacrificial part is no longer available. There are near identical machines on the market that employ the same component. Planned obsolescence negates the right to repair and ensures unnecessary waste.

I am quite capable of replacing the worn bearings and look forward to learning about replacements.

Thanks again for your attention to this matter.

Phil

I've previously discussed at length the availability of the sacrificial part with Ryobi @PhilGorman. It was designed to last the lifetime of the product. If the plate is adjusted per the instructions so the blade meets it and begins to shave a tiny amount off it, you will get dozens of adjustments over the years before you come near its limits. However, I've been a bit heavy-handed with the adjustment in the past, taking some reasonable swathes out of the plate. If I were to do this every time, I could imagine that I wouldn't get too many adjustments out of it. I've provided feedback to Ryobi from our members on their experiences with this plate. You'll note that on current models, the adjustment system has been updated, and this was partly due to the difficulties in adjusting the older style. 

I'll let you know about those bearings.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair Ryobi Silent Shredder model RSH2445T - Bearing replacement?

Hi @PhilGorman,

I'm going through the parts and trying to identify the bearing that you're mentioning. It appears like we have some planetary gears (40), a drive shaft (41.3) and then what looks to be a sleeve bearing (44.1). Is it this sleeve bearing you were after? If you can identify the part number, I can then contact Ryobi to check availability.

Mitchell

I've contacted Ryobi, and part 44.1 is a bush for the blade assembly housing @PhilGorman. So it's quite possibly the bearing you were referring to. The bush is sold with the blade assembly housing (44), and the part number for that assembly is 099710001045. It is in stock and available from Ryobi. To place an order just see a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders counter.

Please let me know if it was another bearing, and I will look into it for you.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

That bush in the blade assembly housing is likely to be the culprit as it shares the full lateral loading with the corresponding bush (54.1) in the front cover.

It's wise to replace both bushes at the same time.

Does 54.1 also come as integral to the assembled unit (54)?

So how much would replacing two bushes cost me if entails 2 whole assemblies?

Regards,

Phil

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PhilGorman 

Let me make some inquiries for you about the price for those spare parts. As soon as I have more information, I'll let you know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PhilGorman 

Assembly number 44 (099710001045) is currently $102.00 including gst. Unfortunately, part 54 (099710001055) is no longer available. I suggest

visiting your closest store and speaking to a helpful team member at the special orders desk in order to get a quote.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric.

Thank you but I don't think it's worth replacing just one of two worn bushes.

Can we do anything about reducing the cost of a replacement machine, the Ryobi AC 2400W Crushing Shredder RSH2445S?

Regards,

Phil Gorman

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects