Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair an old brick path?

TimD
Growing in Experience

How to repair an old brick path?

Hi,

I want to renovate an old brick path. I want to remove the old sand between the bricks, cleaning out the moss and then repoint the gaps between the bricks. I remember seeing somewhere this should be a mix of sand and concrete where it is brushed in between the bricks and then wetted with a hose and left  to dry/set. Is this correct? I ask as a video I have seen on this site just has the person brushing in sand and no concrete. 

I don't need to relay the bricks as they are pretty level. Also the bricks could do with a further clean beforehand. I  have pressure hosed but may need something like this? Is this ok to use on old brick?  https://www.bunnings.com.au/30-seconds-5l-outdoor-cleaner-concentrate_p4461755

Which type of sand and concrete and at which ratio to water should I use? Any other products I should also consider?

Many Thanks

Tim

IMG_0413.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair an old brick path?

Hi @TimD,

Since paving is typically bedded onto a non-solid surface like sand, the gaps between the pavers are also filled with sand. As you've seen, the sand is watered in before more is added, and the process is repeated until the gaps are filled, locking the sand into place. Over the years, it does need to be topped up, and a side effect is that weeds can grow in the sand if a residual path weeder isn't sprayed over the area yearly.

The reason for not adding cement to the sand is that if the non-solid base allows the pavers to move, the joints between the pavers will crack. If your base is reasonably solid, you can try the sand and cement mixture. I'd stick away from concrete, though, as it has aggregate in it. Brunnings 20kg Landscape Paver Sand and Bastion 20kg General Purpose Cement can be used at a ratio of 3:1. Mix it together dry and brush it into your gaps and ensure that it settles right down to their base. Brush the surface of your pavers off, so there is no residual mix left on them. Using a spray gun with a mist spray, you can then wet the mixture.

30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate will be fine to use on your bricks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TheHandySqirrel
Having an Impact

Hi @TimD,

to be honest, that path doesn't look too bad. You have nicely aged bricks there and not too many weeds. 

Since the bricks are chipped quite a bit on some edges I would expect the gap sand to escape fairly quickly, making your renovation obsolete.

There are some gap sands available which have binding agents that activate when wetted, maybe check out those. They should allow for some movement to avoid the cracking @MitchellMc mentioned. Be prepared to travel a bit to source such gap sand as it's not readily available (in my experience at least).

@TimD,

@TheHandySqirrel prompted me to search again for our polymer-based locking sand. Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand should be available at your local stores if you'd like to use a pre-mixed product. If you can let me know your closest store I can check availability.

Mitchell

TimD
Growing in Experience

Thank you very much  @MitchellMc and @TheHandySqirrel for your responses.

@MitchellMc thanks for the detailed instructions. I went to Bunnings and the salesperson suggested using the gap sand as @TheHandySqirrel suggested. He recommended the Dingo Powerloc Paving Sand which which was in stock. Looking at the user reviews however, I am not convinced this will work. The packet states it is a flexible gell. I have done a quick test and it does not seem to gel/bind, so I fear it will soon blow away with the next weather event. However, I will persevere  with a small section and give it a go. If that fails - then I may just go back to the Sand and Cement method now I know how to do it thanks. (Btw I think there is a problem with your cement link.) The bricks seems to be on a firm bed (no wobble) so hopefully that will work.

Thanks again both,

Tim

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TimD

Thanks for the update on your brick path project, please give this link a go for the Bastion 20kg General Purpose Cement. Remember to brush all of the sand cement mix off the top of your bricks before you use your misting spray.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your brick path ready for use.

Eric

TimD
Growing in Experience

Hi All,

After much graft, I finished the paths. I did use the  Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand and the 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate.

There is no quick way of doing this or power tools that could really help make it quicker. Just a matter of setting aside a few days to do it all by hand. 

The paving sand did work better than I feared based on the reviews - it does take a few days to set and does leave quite a bit of sand residue (could be my technique) but overall I am pleased with the result - please see before and after shots.

Thank you everyone for your input/help - much appreciated,

IMG_0637 copy 2.jpgIMG_0651 copy 2.jpg

Tim

Nice rustic brick  path job done well @TimD nothing more to do.

My opinion  as a contrast  is  I  like your path better with no  visable surface sand as a stand out as per your photos. 

The little bit of surface sand removed wont weaken bricks stability.

Clean  bricks also means easy future   2 year  annual maintinance?  and reduced surface sand may reduce weed  repopulation possibly as less sand  dirt for growing em. Wind blown dust will refill gaps for you.

As an option concrete paint the bricks or  keep original as you wish.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks a treat, @TimD; well done!

Many thanks for sharing your results with us, as I trust it will inspire many of our members to get out there and re-furbish their own walkways.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects