Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair brown patches on buffalo lawn?

NateZheng
Getting Established

How to repair brown patches on buffalo lawn?

A new buffalo lawn was installed in July 2023

NateZheng_1-1695040437559.png

The lawn appears to be growing very well in August

NateZheng_2-1695040526858.png

After applying two bottles of Seasol Lawn & Turf Starter and mowing, some areas of the lawn have turned brown or yellow and died, as shown in the following picture(Today, September 2023).

NateZheng_3-1695040559857.png

Some details

NateZheng_4-1695040606995.jpegNateZheng_5-1695040634426.jpeg

NateZheng_0-1695041693496.jpegNateZheng_1-1695041704939.jpegNateZheng_2-1695041712229.jpeg

I'm not sure if the brown patches on my lawn are caused by fungus or lack of water.

I water once a week for 20 minutes.

The soil on top feels a bit hard, but the soil moisture is at a good level of 50-80% when measured with a soil moisture meter.

As a beginner, I didn't realize that using Nuway topsoil as the base soil for my lawn could be a mistake (This soil appears to be a pale yellow-brown color, rather than the dark black color that is indicative of nutrient-rich soil.). If this is the case?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair brown patches on buffalo lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NateZheng. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about establishing a new lawn.

Buffalo is relatively dormant over the cooler season, so it's typically not laid then. Now that it is warming up, I expect to see your lawn put on new growth and start to green up. It's not unusual for Buffalo to brown off naturally during winter. I do understand, though, that it was quite green when it was laid, so I suspect something else might be happening here.

I note that in your images, the browned sections predominantly appear to be thinner blades of grass. Perhaps this is a cool season grass that has been oversowed to fill in the Buffalo and is now dying off. I'd only expect this to happen if you've seen some very warm weather in your area.

Some of the browned sections look rather compacted, so you could pick up a lawn aerator and go over the lawn. You can then apply some top-dressing soil. Here's a handy step-by-step guide: How to aerate and top dress your lawn.

I don't believe this issue has anything specifically to do with your choice of topsoil. Lawn soils are typically very sandy and designed for this purpose.

With your soil moisture reading, was that just after watering or a few days after? Ideally, unless you've just watered, moisture levels shouldn't be above 50%; if they are, it's not something the grass would tolerate for long periods.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc  so much for your detailed response and valuable insights into my lawn issues.

I greatly appreciate your help. I have a few more questions, and your expertise would be immensely helpful.

1. Regarding the different type of grass that may have been overseeded into my Buffalo lawn, could you clarify if this is a serious problem? Should I consider contacting the lawn provider about this issue, or is it something that can be managed with proper care?

2. You mentioned that some sections of my lawn appear compacted. How can I determine if my lawn has indeed been over-compacted, and what steps can I take to address this? Should I reduce foot traffic on the lawn to prevent further compaction?

3. I randomly checked the moisture levels in my soil, and in some areas, it reads over 100%. Does this mean the soil is too wet, and should I pause watering the lawn for a few days to address this issue?

4. Would it be advisable to apply specialized fertilizer like Soluble Powder Sulphate Of Potash to mitigate the risk of fungus disease, or should I consider other treatments?

The potential of there being another thin-bladed grass was on hypothesising @NateZheng. I can't quite tell from your images, but the thin blades could be Buffalo that's folded in half as it's dried. Can you take a close look and see if that's the case? Given we are coming up to the growing season, I feel your lawn will fill in these gaps, and there isn't too much to be worried about. My Buffalo lawn has brown patches all over it, far worse than yours.

Compaction from foot traffic normally occurs over an area where people are continuously walking, like to a clothesline. It could just be natural compaction from the watering during establishment. You can identify if an area is compacted by how it looks, feels and if it's easy to penetrate it with a spiked implement like a garden fork. Your fourth image shows what appears to be a compacted area. I would just aerate it and apply some topdressing over the area. Follow the How to guide I linked above.

If you're using a moisture probe, I've found them to not be particularly reliable. Instead, stick your finger into the soil. It should be moist after watering, and don't water again until it feels dry. You mentioned previously that you're watering once a week, which sounds about right.

Have a look at your grass blades and check to see if they have a threadlike or powdery coatings on them; that's a sign of fungal disease. I'd hold off on applying other treatments to your lawn. Monitor it for a week after watering. Don't water again until the soil begins to dry out. If the soil is still wet by the end of the week, it would indicate there is a drainage issue.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I checked the thin blades in my lawn and confirmed that they are Buffalo grass that has folded in half as it dried.

My daughter likes to walk on the lawn every day. I'm concerned that this may be putting too much pressure on it. What do you think?

I went to Bunnings straight away and bought the Trojan All Steel Spiked Aerator. I also noticed that the original soil when the grass was delivered was very clay-like.

I'm planning to aerate and topdress my lawn this weekend within a limited area. Is there anything else I should do to care for my lawn?

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NateZheng 

Using the Trojan All Steel Spiked Aerator should be perfect to aerate the lawn and adding topdressing will help your lawn. My best suggestion is to keep an eye on your watering as too much water will actually drown the roots of the lawn. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

NateZheng
Getting Established

Hi @EricL,

Thank you for your advice. I will keep an eye on my watering and make sure not to overwater my lawn. I am also looking forward to aerating and topdressing my lawn this weekend.

I am grateful for the help and support that I have received from you and MitchellMc. I am confident that my lawn will be healthy and thriving in no time.

Thanks again

Hi there I put down buffalo lawn from Bunnings 3 mths ago at first look amazing , now it’s gone patchy in many areas, we have had a lot of rain over the last few months in Brisbane , I have just joined this workshop so am going to try aeration have bought those shoes with spikes 

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @alexhoughton 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

I'm sure you've read the recommendations made in the posts earlier. Aerating the soil and adding top dress will help in recovery. If the bald portions do not recover it might be necessary to seed these areas in your lawn. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric can you buy buffalo seed 

or is it easier to replace with new piece 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects