Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair the buffalo lawn patches?

vg_39
Cultivating a Following

How to repair the buffalo lawn patches?

Hi guys

i have got the patches as shown in the pics in my backyard with buffalo grass. The last I remember was that I had applied seasol and some other unbranded fertiliser possibly unevenly. That’s the only thing I can remember applying in last 3 months. The grass died 2 months ago and I have raked the top part and it now looks like the pics below

can you guide me on how to fix it

D44A979B-4573-4E89-B6DD-F33CB287C529.jpeg

C9EEE97D-0591-4801-B832-227D266E3D9B.jpeg

F2598CDA-02ED-4E69-B7D8-A33D43B0FD11.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair the buffalo lawn patches?

Hello @vg_39

I suspect that the item that you spilled in those spots are still lingering in the soil. This is possibly why the grass has not grown back into those bare areas. I recommend aerating the bald spots with a Cyclone Stainless Steel Fork Hand Tool. This will open up the soil and allow any trapped moisture in the ground to come out.  Water the soil very well to dilute any leftover chemicals that are in that area.

If the grass does not begin to creep back in a few weeks, I propose having a look at Garden Basics 1kg Lawn Repair Lawn Seed And Fertiliser. Apply it to the patch as instructed on the back of the box.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Lawn recovery with seeds by @prettyliving

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL 

I have aerated the soil. However, it’s been raining in Sydney for last couple of days. Let’s see how this goes.

I will report back in two weeks

many thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vg_39,

If you don't have any luck, which I suspect you won't if it's already been two months, then I'd suggest digging the area over and applying a 20mm thick layer of topsoil. You can then re-seed the area with a lawn repair mix.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc . Will do

does this lawn repair work on buffalo lawn and will the new grass grow as buffalo one ?

is there any lawn repair specific for my buffalo lawn?

many thanks

Hi @vg_39 

The buffalo grass will grow across by itself when the patchy area is  fixed.

Consider another lawn die back  cause.

Another possible causes of that die back is lawn grubs that eat the grasses small roots effectivly killing it.  I just advised my  neighbour or the same issue and proved it by  lifting out a clod of dirt/soil 10cm deep and breaking it open showed 2  lawn  grubs. Now buffalo  sending out new runners over the damaged area 2 weeks later. after lawn grub treatment. See new tufts growing in, what was barren dirt area .

Lawn Grub dining zone on grass rootsLawn Grub dining zone on grass roots

So lawn grubs are targeted  by lawn grub killer at bunnings.  Dig a   clod out and see for your self if there are any grubs as a sort of confirmation the loose dirt will help lawn grow back too.

vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

thank you

i have checked I don’t have 

any lawn grub

i have bought lawn repair mix as suggested by @MitchellMc which I plan to use in 2 weeks based on another suggestion by @EricL @to wait after aeration

i will post progress

Hi @vg_39 

I  am very glad you dont get lawn grubs but one or  two doses should do it.  I hope those patches grows back quickly if they dont try lawn  grub remedy any how as  it deals with more than one condition.

Stuckster
Getting Established

I wouldn't use a lawn repair product. Who knows what varieties of grass you will be introducing. You can't reseed buffalo, so I would simply buy a couple of square meters of buffalo turf and some underlay soil. Dig out the dead stuff, throw down the underlay with some of your favourite fertilizer then lay the new turf on top. Water each day for a week then gradually spread out the watering to every 3-4 days over the course of the next couple of weeks to encourage deeper root growth. Should be good as gold in 2-3 weeks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects