Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive Sir Grange Zoysia lawn?

mrarunkv
Just Starting Out

How to revive Sir Grange Zoysia lawn?

Dear Bunnings Team,

I need some assistance in reviving my Sir Grange Zoysia lawn, which I purchased from Bunnings in January 2023. About a month ago, I applied a round of Seasol Seaweed solution as recommended.

However, I've noticed that while not all parts of the lawn are brown, there is a high percentage showing signs of browning, particularly noticeable when cutting at a height of 55mm. Interestingly, some areas still show a bit of green grass peeking through.

As it's mid-March 2024 in Brisbane, I'm attaching current photos for reference. I still have Seasol Seaweed solution left with me. Could you advise me on the following:

1. How frequently should I apply Seasol Seaweed solution to my lawn?
  2. Apart from Seasol Seaweed, are there any other products I should consider applying? If so, at what frequency?
  3. What steps should I take to effectively revive my Sir Grange Zoysia lawn?
  4. At what height should I be cutting the grass during the revival process?

Your expertise would be greatly appreciated in helping me restore my lawn to its former glory. Thank you for your time and assistance.Frontyard1.jpgFrontyard2.jpgBackyard1.jpgBackyard2.jpgBackyard3.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive Sir Grange Zoysia lawn?

Hello @mrarunkv 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Zoysia lawn.

If you are using the Seasol 2 x 2L Ready To Use Lawn Fertiliser - Twin Pack, it is advised to be use every 2-4 weeks throughout the year. 

The ideal frequency for fertilizing your Zoysia lawn depends on the season, the type of fertilizer, and your lawn care goals. For granule fertilizers, aim to fertilize your Zoysia lawn every 8-10 weeks during the growing season. With liquid fertilizers, do so every 2-4 weeks.

In the spring and summer, when your lawn is growing vigorously, you may need to fertilize more often to keep it healthy and looking good. However, during cooler periods or when growth slows down, fertilizing may be less necessary or needed less frequently.

I suggest having a look at Lawn Solutions Australia 10kg Premium Lawn Fertiliser.  It is a professional blend containing all the essential nutrients and trace elements to encourage strong growth and rich colour. 

At this point in time, I suggest aerating your lawn with Saxon Lawn Aerator Sandals or similar. This will allow deeper penetration of water and fertilizer into the soil.

The right height for mowing a Zoysia lawn varies based on the Zoysia type, growing conditions, climate, and mower type. Generally, aim for 20-40mm with a rotary mower or 10-25mm with a cylinder mower. 

Cutting Zoysia too short can harm it, inviting pests, diseases, and drought. But letting it grow too long makes maintenance harder and your lawn less appealing. At the moment, I suggest cutting it to a level 40mm so that the lawn is not too stressed while it is recovering.

Let me call on our experienced member @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lawnsolutions
Just Starting Out

Re: How to revive Sir Grange Zoysia lawn?

Hi @mrarunkv,

It looks like the main cause for the grass discolouring is from scalping when mowing. Scalping will occur when the grass grows too long in between mows, removing the green leaf and cutting back into the stem of the grass, causing these brown patches to occur. How frequently are you mowing?

For now, I would look at raising your mowing height up by a notch to allow the new green leaf to grow back in. Following this, it is best to ensure you are mowing the lawn frequently enough so that only one third of the leaf is removed with each pass to help stop further scalping from occurring. 

Please have a look here for more information on scalping - https://lawnsolutionsaustralia.com.au/lawn-care/how-to-stop-patches-from-scalping-while-mowing/

Lawn grubs are also a prevalent issue at the moment, so it is best to also do a grub test just to ensure they are not present. To do a grub test, mix up a bucket of water and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid and pour it over the edge of the affected area. Wait for around 10 mins or so and see if any grubs do rise up to the surface. This is best done at dawn or dusk when the grubs are most likely to be active. If you do find that grubs are causing the issue here, please have a look here for the best way to remove them from your lawn - https://lawnsolutionsaustralia.com.au/lawn-care/lawn-grubs-pests/african-black-beetle/

Sarah, Lawn Solutions Australia.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects