Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive dying lawn?

janelle7
Just Starting Out

How to revive dying lawn?

image.jpg

my lawn has almost completely died. I wasn’t sure if it was root rot from incredibly excessive rain or pests. I have sprayed for lawn grubs. Lawn area now almost a mud area. Can I grow eg rye grass as a cover while I’m waiting for grass to re grow. I can see some small green shoots starting to appear. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks. Janelle 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to revive dying lawn?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @janelle7. It's great to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of helpful advice for this project as well as many others to come in the future. 

Could we please trouble you to share some photos of your lawn so we can see the condition it is in and better suggest next steps? It's certainly a common scenario, but some photos and an indication of where you are based would help members.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @janelle7

Thank you for sharing your question about repairing your lawn. I'm afraid the area around the playground set has been totally worn out. In order to repair the area, you can either put new turf slabs or seed the area with new grass. If you choose new turf slabs it will take approximately six to eight weeks depending on the weather before you can walk on them. 

It will take around the same amount of time if you seed the area. But seeing as this is a high-traffic area due to the playground, have you considered covering the area with artificial turf in the meantime. I also suggest looking at the Swing Slide Climb 1 x 1m Green Rubber Play Paver. It can be installed around the play area providing cover and a safe surface for children to play on.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your lawn area covered and ready for use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

janelle7
Just Starting Out

Hi again. Oops. I forgot to mention that this Bunnings play gym only went in last week. Grass was dead before then. Would rye grass or something similar be a coveting until grass regrows? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

All good @janelle7. If the grass was already dead you've still got the same choice - lay turf or seed. Turf is obviously the quicker solution, but either way you are going to need to keep off the area for some time. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects