Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive my tulips?

ss93
Finding My Feet

How to revive my tulips?

2CB1DAC9-DD2A-404D-A124-FD09B3FC107A.jpeg

  

A82A5AEF-EE13-4635-9B13-136889F44FEF.jpeg

Hi, I’ve just recently bought some tulips from Bunnings and have replanted a few of them in a bigger pot. However, now the leaves and stems are turning a red-brown colour and tips of some of the leaves are drying out and wilting. I’ve attached some photos. Initially they were getting quite a bit of sun and so I thought it might be too much and moved them to a shadier place and added a bit of Osmocotes Boost and Feed liquid fertiliser. Is there anything I can do to revive them? I’m new to gardening and any tips would be greatly appreciated! 
Thank you! 

F3C4E1E1-2079-44D6-A7A7-0699869F6D69.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive my tulips?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ss93. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about transplanting tulips.

I'm sorry to hear about your tulips wilting. Spring isn't a good time to transplant tulips. It's best to wait until the flowers have died off and Autumn, when the bulb is dormant, is ideal. Unfortunately, it looks like they might have suffered from the transplant. If you split a clump, damage to the delicate bulb is almost definitely the cause of their downturn. I'd suggest that there is not much that can be done, and hopefully, the bulbs will re-bloom next Spring. You could try a diluted ratio of Seasol, though I'm not hopeful that would improve the situation.

Let me mention our experienced Horticulturalists @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if anything can be done.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Have to agree with MitchellMc - there's not much you can do to improve the tulips now. Look after the bulbs as best you can and when the leaves have completely died down in late spring/early summer, lift the bulbs, leave them in an airy spot to dry, clean them off and store them in a cool spot until it is time to plant them again next Autumn.  A couple of weeks in the vegie crisper section of the fridge (NOT the freezer) before planting will help them break dormancy and shoot away to flower again next September.

Thank you Mitchell and Noelle! Will try the Seasol and see if that makes a difference. Thank you for your advice - much appreciated! 

gay
Just Starting Out

Do you have dahlia bulbs in store 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gay. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Dahlia bulbs.

Here's our range of Dahlia bulbs found in-store at certain times of the year. If you enter your closest store, it will tell you the availability. Unfortunately, it does not appear that you'll find Dahlia bulbs in-store at the moment. You might like to see a helpful team member at your local store's Special Order desk, and they'll place an order for them.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects around the house and garden. Please let us know if you ever need help or have something to share. Our community is full of wonderfully knowledgeable members that are all willing to assist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

htb1
Just Starting Out

I seek to grow medium to high tulips from bulbs in year 2022  in 30 cm+ clay pots in Brighton Vic 3186.

Of course using fridge, new soil, Seasol and fertilizer.

Where can I buy appropriate bulbs for this location?

Do Bunnings nearby stock bulbs?

Can one view offerings on screen?

Any comments on needed sun exposure while growing?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @htb1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about planting Tulips.

You can view our full range of available Tulips on the Bunnings Website. If you select your local store, the site will show you stock availability.

Our supplier Bloomin Bulbs has provided several helpful guides to get you started. Tulips are best placed in shady positions but can tolerate 2 - 3 hours of full sun each day or filtered light all day. I haven't heard of any Tulips that won't grow in Victoria, you just need to follow the guides and plant accordingly.

I trust you'll also find these guides useful: How to plant spring flowering bulbs and How to grow and care for Tulips.

I look forward to hearing about and seeing your new Tulips next Spring. Keep us updated, and please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects