Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive these desert roses?

Dawdiddles
Getting Established

How to revive these desert roses?

CE35048E-3BBD-4BEC-AA70-40CD4D68F474.jpeg

  

0446D0BD-622F-48F1-A782-42256226C310.jpeg

I inherited some sad looking desert roses. It looks like something has had a bite of a couple of trunks. Any advice to salvage or are the plants dead?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to revive these desert roses?

Hello @Dawdiddles,

Sorry to hear about your desert roses. Let me call upon our garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their expert advice. 

In the meantime, I recommend checking out the guide How to grow a desert rose by the Bunnings team in case it helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Dawdiddles Desert Rose is a tricky but beautiful plant to grow. They can’t stand to be overwatered as they rot. Usually that’s the problem, too much water. I think yours may not recover. Just keep it dry and see what happens, it can’t hurt. 😊🪴

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Yes @Dawdiddles , I'd agree with what @mich1972  has said. While the trunk looks dead, there may still be life under the soil in the roots that could send up a new shoot - but don't be disappointed if nothing happens as it certainly doesn't look viable in its current state.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dawdiddles 

Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend finding a warm spot in your garden where it will be exposed to direct sunlight for at least 4 hours. If it looks like it's going to rain bring it into the covered area. At this point all we can do is provide the environment where it will most likely recover. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dawdiddles
Getting Established

Thank you! We just copped a monsoon trough, but the above comments helped me to make sure I at least moved a few healthier ones to safety. I won’t hold my breath on the sad ones. Thanks again all

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects