Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive this struggling street tree?

John57
Building a Reputation

How to revive this struggling street tree?

0EE28827-11CC-4159-B589-017F2266F6B7.jpeg

Look at those flourishing jonquils!

And look at the sad tree 🤔

Same soil, different results. It’s wet, acidic soil. 
I don’t know what kind of tree it is planted by the Whittlesea council. Or how to care for it. Seasol doesn’t help… any advice please?

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What is going on here? Bulbs up, tree down.

Hi @John57 . That tree does not look great, does it? 

I don't know what it is, but I suspect that it is an Illawarra flame tree (Brachychiton acerifolius), which is one of the species on the Whittlesea council's list of street trees. Illawarra flame trees usually have a more deeply lobed leaf ("acerifolius" means "maple-leaf"), but that green, textured trunk makes me think that's what it is. Have you seen flame trees around the area covered in bright red flowers?

I also don't know what's wrong with it. How wet is the soil? If the soil is waterlogged it could be drowning and rotting the roots of the tree. The best thing to do might be to contact the council and ask them to take a look at it. 

Just for future reference, Seasol in the white bottle is not really a fertiliser. It's a health tonic that promotes root growth (which is great when you're planting, transplanting or repotting) and it has other beneficial effects.

For an all-purpose organic fertiliser you want Power Feed in the green bottle. It's made by the Seasol people and it's a similar kind of black, gloopy stuff, but it has the nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium that plants want in a fertiliser.

But you shouldn't have to fertilise a street tree. I would ask the council to come out and have a look at it.

Perhaps more knowledgeable Workshop members can offer more insight. But do please keep us updated. I would like to know what happens with this poor little tree.

Cheers,

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @John57

Can you tell us a little bit more about the tree? How long has it been there and when did the curling and wilting start? Any other information you can share about this tree and what happened to it will help us give you a better diagnosis. We can then make recommendations on how to save it. There can be any number of causes why the tree is drooping, it can range from temperature shock (too cold), waterlogged roots, disease and infection.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
John57
Building a Reputation

It’s a Kurrajong. Soil is def waterlogged. Will wait for bulbs to finish, take them out and report to council.

Thanks Eric

John

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects