Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal treated Pine sleepers for garden bed?

Lyndave
Building a Reputation

How to seal treated Pine sleepers for garden bed?

hello, this is my first post. I have concerns with treated pine sleepers. I want to know what l can use to seal sleepers to be used for raised garden bed, or should treated pine be fine. It's just that some have said there's no problem with treated pine used for garden beds and others are worried about the arsenic content and chemicals getting into soil and plants

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal treated Pine sleepers for garden bed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lyndave. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about treated Pine sleepers.

CCA-treated sleepers are perfectly fine for garden beds that won't contain edible crops. If you are growing edible plants, it's best to line the garden bed inside with Builder's Plastic to prevent the treatment from leeching into your soil. This is particularly important if you intend to grow root vegetables. 

The other option is to use Sienna MicroPro sleepers which use a copper-based treatment and contain no arsenic.

I'm sure you'll find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a raised garden bed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lyndave
Building a Reputation

Thankyou for your reply, l think my best option would be to go with the sienna pro.......... I just need to wait till l am ready, still planning out the garden....... Thankyou kindly

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No problem @Lyndave, let us know if you need anything. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lyndave
Building a Reputation

Thankyou kindly Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects