Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sharpen and fix my gardening shears

missjane
Finding My Feet

How to sharpen and fix my gardening shears

image.jpg

I need a video to show me the correct technique to sharpen garden shears  plus my friskars hedging shears won’t close correctly how do I correct them

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to sharpen and fix my gardening shears

Hi @missjane. Thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

In our Bunnings D.I.Y. guide How to maintain garden tools, it shows how to sharpen a pair of hedging shears with a file. Your shears look to be in a good condition and would likely just need a quick touch-up from either a Norton Sharpening Pocket Stone or an Eze Lap Diamond Fine Stone Sharpener. This would only require rubbing the stones across the cutting edge following the angles of the bevel.

The shears not closing correctly may have to do with a faulty hinge mechanism. Please be advised Fiskars shears come with a lifetime warranty, so it would be worth speaking with the place of purchase for advice on this issue.

If you wish to use a file, I've taken a few photos of my own shears to give a better illustration of the bevels and angles which they follow. There will be two bevels which you need to be aware of.

The first bevel:

1.jpg2.jpg

The second bevel: This is the only one I would be sharpening on your shears. Please note the angle is much steeper than the previous bevel.

Use consistent strokes with even pressure, from the base of the blade to the tip. We won't be removing a lot of material, simply touching up the edge.

3.jpg4.jpg

After you have sharpened this leading cutting edge bevel, flip the blade over and with one stroke remove the burr which has been created. In this case, I have also cleaned the remaining surfaces as the shears were severely neglected.

5.jpg

We are looking forward to seeing your shears back in action. Please feel free to ask if there is anything further you would like to know. I'd be pleased to share more details on the sharpening method or answer any questions you have.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects