Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop birds picking my bean shoots

Bobbiejohnultz
Building a Reputation

How to stop birds picking my bean shoots

Had some beans just sprouting through the soil and the doves just loved to pick the shoots for me.First thought was cut worms but my wife saw the birds. 

Suggestions please?

The beans are planted in a oblong garden tank from Bunnings. 

Dale
Having an Impact

Re: How to stop birds picking my bean shoots

This. Has been a fantastic addition to my garden. Stops pests, but doesn't upset the amount of water or sunlight getting to the plants.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/diamond-econetting-4-x-4m-white-anti-bird-net_p3041126
DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Anything that swings or hangs to move on the breeze. A few stick or old CD's that also reflect the sun should need them away. It's a scarecrow method? Just tie a line between two canes and hang them off that.

If not, as Dale mentioned a bird bet is a really solid option, just be wary of the mesh size, if it is small to also deal with insects it may restrict rain fall making it to the ground as it beads of the net.
Ricardo
Finding My Feet

From experience I have tried all of the scare items from plastic snakes to a full scare crow the birds are very intelligent and will quickly work out it is no threat the best solution is bird netting on a frame which can be easily made from a lightweight material such as electrical conduit 

Added benefit this will also keep out possums and bat's 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Richardo.

It's fantastic to have you join us and great to see you jump into the conversation! We look forward to hearing more about what projects you have going on around your own home and garden and trust you'll find loads of inspiration here also. If you ever have something to share or need advice, please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects