Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop garden tap from leaking?

nfds
Growing in Experience

How to stop garden tap from leaking?

How do I stop the garden tap from leaking  . garden tap.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: garden tap

Hello @@nfds 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. That is a ball valve garden tap and is not worth repairing as the parts for it are custom. Anything more than ten years old and exposed to the elements has had a good run. I suggest getting a new tap as pictured below. Don't forget to put plumbers tape. You'll get another ten years hopefully.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-04-16-19-27-25-06.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

James_B
Growing in Experience

Re: How to stop garden tap from leaking?

G'day @nfds 

plastic handle tap.jpgmetal handle tap.jpegI agree with redracer01: your best bet would be to replace the tap. The product that they suggested would work a treat, but I noticed that you have a quarter-turn tap and thought you might like to keep that quarter-turn functionality. In that case I would recommend either an EnduraSeal quarter-turn tap with non-return valve or a Kinetic quarter-turn tap.

Something to keep in mind is that taps come in a couple of different sizes.

The easiest way to find the right size is to turn off the water supply, remove the installed tap, take it into your local Bunnings, and compare the size of your old tap to the size of the one you intend to purchase.

Once you get home, make sure the threads inside the pipe are free of debris, wrap some PTFE tape clockwise around the threads on the tap approximately 6 times (make sure the tape does not block the hole), and screw in the new tap. You can then turn the water back on and check that the new tap is not leaking. If it is, tighten the tap another turn until it is no longer leaking.

ptfe tape.jpg

Good luck with it

James

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
nfds
Growing in Experience

Re: How to stop garden tap from leaking?

@redracer01, thanks so much.

@James_B, thanks for your post. Will have a look at it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects