Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop hedges being eaten?

Chris1959
Just Starting Out

How to stop hedges being eaten?

Can anybody tell me what sort of bushes these are, what is eating the leaves and what I should treat them with? Thanks.

1. The bush.jpg2. Eaten leaves.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hedges being eaten

Hello @Chris1959

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your hedges.

From the pictures that you posted, it looks like a Lilly Pilly. But to be certain, would it be possible for you to post several closer photos of the leaves? This should give our members a better idea of what kind of hedge you have. However, there is no mistaking that your leaves are being eaten by an insect. 

In order for us to give you better advice can you please have a look around the plant and under the leaves for beetles, caterpillars or mites? They will often nest in the shadowy corners of the plant and feast either in the evening or early morning. Once we've identified the type of pest that's eating your hedge we'll be able to recommend the appropriate insecticide.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W they might be able to identify the leaf-eating pattern of the insect.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chris1959
Just Starting Out

Re: How to stop hedges being eaten?

Thanks a lot for your input. I have seen a little caterpillar or two climbing on the wall and they are probably the culprit. I'll try and get a pic of one and get back on it.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop hedges being eaten?

Hello @Chris1959

I suspected as much, but it's better to be sure by seeing the culprits on the hedge. If it is a caterpillar infestation, I suggest using Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide. I also recommend physically removing as many of the caterpillars as you can. Please keep in mind that caterpillars are voracious eaters and will eat all the leaves on your hedge in a short amount of time.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects