Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop weeds growth through mulch?

John57
Building a Reputation

How to stop weeds growth through mulch?

We laid mulch two years ago in our garden here in Mernda Vic. Now we are having an overflow of weeds - grass, clover and so forth. In one large area, we’ve managed weeds by pulling them out. But despite this the other areas are growing weeds because of the rain. How to prevent new growth like this? 

1D8D713E-ABF1-4314-A06B-1E54914C304C.jpeg

FF1865F6-B176-43B2-8473-12747CA0327D.jpeg

F5238F2C-B7E2-4993-9102-058DA307B4A5.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Weeds growth through mulch

Hi @John57,

Over the two years, your mulch has broken down to the point where weeds can grow in the decomposed material. The most efficient way of removing the existing weeds and eliminating further growth when it appears would be with a weed killer. Alternatively, you might like to place several layers of newspaper over the area and then re-mulch. You'll likely get a couple of years before this same process happens again.

Have you considered paving the area? Check out these paving ideas for outdoor entertaining areas.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Margie611
Just Starting Out

Re: How to stop weeds growth through mulch?

I have found (as I like to keep natural, no poisons to my gardener's dismay) that after first removing the weeds, put down white vinegar where you have removed them. Do this for 3 days, then once a week for maybe a month, or until you think the weeds are not coming back. Tea leaves after the vinegar is a good fertilizer.

Good Luck and best wishes.

Margie 611

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Margie611

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @John57 to make them aware of your recommendations. Have you always used vinegar to kill weeds? Is it a direct application to the weeds and surrounding area or can I just use a spray bottle? I think it's a fantastic way to control weeds as it's a natural product with no toxic side effects.

Thank you so much for sharing your garden knowledge with our members.

Eric

John57
Building a Reputation

Re: Weeds growth through mulch

Thanks Mitchell. Some work removing weeds done this weekend. I guess another layer of mulch is needed to re-cover the areas involved.

John57
Building a Reputation

Margie

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

John57
Building a Reputation

Eric

I understood from Margie that she pours or perhaps sprays the soil after pulling out the weeds. And repeats three days then weekly for a month. I guess she can clarify…

John

Nova1
Getting Established

what does the white vinegar do and how much white vinegar do you put down please Margie?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nova1

Let me tag @Margie611 to make them aware of your questions. As per the instructions given, first, remove the weeds present, then put down white vinegar where you have removed them. Repeat application for 3 days, then once a week for maybe a month, or until you think the weeds are not coming back. If you were to use Glitz Green 2L Cleaning Vinegar you should be able to cover the area where most of the weeds grow. I suggest using an Aqua Systems 1.7L Plastic Watering Can to spread the vinegar evenly.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Nova1
Getting Established

thanks Eric. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects