Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tame this monster plant?

Jayamasaldan
Just Starting Out

How to tame this monster plant?

Hi All

I just shifted into a house about ten days back. I am a total beginner with heaps of passion for gardening. I was wondering if anyone knew what this plant is called and how to tame this? It is growing wild and has very big and nasty thorns on the sides and the tip of every leaf (I have a very curious 2.5 year old who is prone to injury!). 

I am confused if we can remove this plant by ourselves, what sort of tools would we need? The plant has multiple offspring and a deep root system spreading quite far. Or would we require a professional to help with this?

IMG-20220215-WA0004.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to tame this monster plant?

Hi @Jayamasaldan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your monster plants.

It looks like an Agave plant, although I'm not sure which species it is. If you're planning on removing it, I suggest wearing a long sleeve shirt, heavy-duty garden gloves and eye protection. If you are removing the entire plant, I suggest planning your route and seeing which parts of the plant you want to cut in order to get to the root of the plant. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your garden free of the monster.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations on how to remove your plant.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to tame this monster plant?

Hi @Jayamasaldan 

You shouldn't need a professional to help with this but you will need a long handled spade and maybe a saw.  Eric has suggested long sleeves and gloves. 

If you don't want to keep the plant then start at one end and gradually work your way along cutting the leaves and digging out the roots.

The plant isn't poisonous or dangerous in that sense but it does have nasty spines which are not ideal with young children around.

Smaller pieces could be salvaged and perhaps planted in a safe place or the front garden where your child doesn't have access.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects