Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat Magnolia fungus?

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

How to treat Magnolia fungus?

I planted a magnolia about 3 years ago. It appears to be attacked by fungus this year. I noticed it a few months ago and have sprayed liquid copper for a few weeks.

The plant flowers purple and dies repeatedly. Same with the leaves.

Attched is a photo taken today.

Magnolia treeMagnolia tree

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat Magnolia fungus?

Hello @Ngnra

Thank you for sharing your question about your Magnolia plant. It's a bit tricky when using a copper-based fungicide on your magnolia. The best time to spray it is when the leaves have come out. Because fungicides work as a protectant and not a cure, the right application time is before the fungus attacks the leaves.

Another product you can use is Eco-Organic 750ml Ready To Use Eco-Fungicide, it will help control powdery mildew. Consider taking preventive measures such as proper spacing for good air circulation and avoiding excessive watering to keep the fungus from attacking the magnolia.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ngnra 

Your magnolia is a deciduous variety - loses its leaves in autumn - and looks reasonably healthy to me.  It has terminal flower buds developing that will produce blooms in late winter/early spring, to be followed by leaves.

I can't see any trace of fungal disease on your photo. It looks like any other deciduous magnolia at this time of the year!  What I can see is what may be lichen on the main stem - and that is not a fungus but an algae which grows on the protected side of trees. Lichen also grows on tiled roofs and the lee side of wooden power poles. It generally doesn't cause any harm.

Fungicides may be applied if there is evidence of a fungal disease present on your tree. An application of a copper-based fungicide or the Eco product Eric has recommended could be sprayed at leaf fall to kill any fungal spores hiding in the bark or developing buds. A repeat could be done at 'bud swell' in late winter/early spring (when you can see that the growth/leaf buds are beginning to swell and appear ready to burst into leaf). Like other pesticides, this type of treatment is curative rather than preventative - they will not stop fungal spores drifting in on the wind and infesting trees but will kill any spores over-wintering in cracks and crevices on the tree.

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply.

my magnolia had been putting out purple flowers which soon wilted and fell off the plant and many flowers turned yellow and fell. 
This phenomenon had been going on through summer and autumn.

please advise 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ngnra

The flowers on a magnolia tree usually last about two weeks, if it does not get enough water the flowers will droop and drop off early. As the weather starts to change your tree changes with it, as it gets colder it enters its winter phase and the flowers and leaves drop off. As @Noelle has pointed out it is a deciduous variety which means that it will seasonally shed its leaves. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects