Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to trim overgrown pittosporum into a hedge?

LauraA
Just Starting Out

How to trim overgrown pittosporum into a hedge?

We have some 10 year old pittosporums along our back fence line that have completely overgrown into full on trees!  Need help and advice on how to turn them back into a hedge again for privacy screening.  If we cut them down to ground will they grow back or will I ruin them completely.  They have gotten so big the are a 2 story height with foliage only at the top.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: overgrown pittosporum

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LauraA. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about trimming pittosporum.

Returning them to a suitable height is best done in stages, and I'd recommend you enlist the service of a professional to assist. Although they can withstand relatively hard pruning, I'd recommend incrementally reducing the height to avoid any regrowth issues. 

When pruning overgrown pittosporum bushes, it's advisable to approach the process gradually to minimise stress and ensure the plants' health. Perform pruning during the dormant season, typically late winter to early spring, using sharp and clean tools. Start by removing up to one-third of the plant's size in the first year, allowing the bushes to respond and produce new growth. Subsequently, continue reducing the size in stages over the next few years until reaching the desired height. Adequate watering and fertilization after pruning support recovery, and regular monitoring helps promptly address any signs of stress or disease.

Here's a helpful guide: Planting, growing and pruning pittosporum.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects