Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use a chainsaw to prune Jasmine branches?

evap
Just Starting Out

How to use a chainsaw to prune Jasmine branches?

Hi, I bought a small chainsaw for pruning of some small trees. Some shrubs this tool cuts quite good but on jasmin branches it kicks back and even chain gets cought and stuck. Wondering if i am doing something wrong or maybe tool is faulty? Never had a chainsaw before hence not sure. Are there any tool workshops to attend?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: chainsaw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @evap. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about chainsaws.

It's a bit hard to tell why the chainsaw would be kicking back only on Jasmin branches. Are these branches moving when you are attempting to cut them? Chainsaws are designed to cut solid branches, so the material you are trying to cut might be too thin. Jasmin bark can be quite fibrous and you might find it and the vines getting caught up in the chain. 

Chainsaw kickbacks can cause serious injury, so I suggest you return with the machine to your local Bunnings store and discuss with them whether the tool is suitable for your needs. I trust they'll also be able to provide details of safe working practices and help determine why you are struggling to cut Jasmin. You might find that the Ryobi One+ 18V Cordless 6"(15cm) Garden Pruning Saw OPS18 or Ryobi 18V ONE+ HP 6” 15cm Brushless Pruning Saw R18XPCS10 better suits your needs.

Here's a helpful guide: Chainsaw use and safe tips.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects