Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use green manure crops to improve soil quality?

Catnipmanor1234
Cultivating a Following

How to use green manure crops to improve soil quality?

My 2 hexis have such dry, dirt (not soil). I know it needs fertilizer and a generous amount of new planting soil. But what or how do I plant a 'green' crop? Is it to rest the soil, in my case dirt, or when the 'green' crop is finished, do I then dig it into the soil? Thank You. ps they need all the help they can get.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what is a 'green' crop used to 'rest' your soil

Hi @Catnipmanor1234,

I apologise; I'm having trouble identifying the plant you are referencing. Are there other common or scientific names for "hexis" you could let me know of? 

Green manure crops are typically used to maintain soil and will struggle to revive dirt devoid of organic material. If you were only to use green manure crops to improve your soil it could be several years until you return any of its health. If you have poor soil, then I would advise adding organic material in the form of manures or compost or new garden soil. Once you've mixed the organic material through the old soil and it has a reasonable amount of vitality, then you can look at maintenance crops in the off-season. Typically these are grown and turned into the soil to add organic matter and nutrients to supplement what was removed by your growing crop. 

Let me mention one of our keen gardeners @mich1972 to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good Morning @Catnipmanor1234 @MitchellMc I love Green Manure crops, they change with the seasons. Usually it’s a blend of legumes and brassicas and also other seeds. 
When planting the seeds, make sure you add plenty for good coverage. You only allow them to grow up to approximately 20 - 30cm in height and then you must dig up and turn over so they can break down into the soil. 
Green Manure crop will add Nitrogen back into the soil and seeds from the Brassica family can help repel Root Knot Nematodes. 
The best way to buy the seeds is in bulk from a Agricultural Supplier or a Livestock Supplier and you will need bulk as in a couple of kgs depending upon the size of the area you want to plant. 
So remember it will change with the seasons BUT the best time to do it is autumn before you start planting your winter crops. And depending on which state you live in the seeds will vary. 

@Catnipmanor1234  Please keep in mind that a Green Manure Crop will help BUT it is best to add in animal manure and compost to build up your soil as well. 
I hope this isn’t information overload 😃

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use green manure crops to improve soil?

@Catnipmanor1234, a little birdie informed me that Hexies are likely to be a brand of raised garden beds. That explains my inability to find a plant variety of that name.  

Mitchell

Many thanks for all your information. Bettter to have more, than less in my opinion.  Are the seeds actually called "Green Manure" crops?  Could I perhaps order them on line do you think?  Or is there any other sort of seed, or established plant that I could use instead. When certain plants might have not been as good as they could have been, I dig them back into the soil. And every so often, I'll find them cropping up here and there.  Again thank you for your info. Regards, Gabrielle.🐆

Re: How to use green manure crops to improve soil?

Your little birdie 🐦  was quite right. I should have spelt it out for you. Thanks for all your trouble. Gabrielle.

@Catnipmanor1234 Hi Gabrielle

For example 

I am in Perth, I have bought my Green Manure seeds from a Soil Company here. Check availability in your local area. 
Yes , you just google Green Manure Crop Seeds and availability. 
I thought you were referring to your raised beds 🤣🤣🤣

To Mich: Many thanks for your reply.. This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. Will do the 'Googling' thing. Regards.🌿

All the best Gabrielle, I’m looking forward to seeing your hexies planted up with beautiful eddies when you’re ready. Good luck and enjoy your garden 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Catnipmanor1234 (Gabrielle)

Just in case you are wondering the store has Mr Fothergill's Green Manure Mix. I suggest giving your local store a call to make sure they have it in stock. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects