Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to water the lawn from the pond water?

kashgenius
Growing in Experience

How to water the lawn from the pond water?

Hi,

I have a pond that does not have fish in it but we still would like to use it to keep water in it and use the water feature. The question is how can I setup a way to water the garden by using the pond water. I will probably do this every 2 months to distribute all the pond water into the garden and fill it up with new water. What is the best way to do that? 

Also I have water feature / fountain. How often should I run it so that infestation of mosquitoes is non-existent or minimal due to the pond water?

Many thanks for the help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to water the lawn from the pond water

Hi @kashgenius,

A great way to water the garden every 2 months would be to use an Ozito 350w Dirty Water Submersible Water Pump. You will simply connect a hose to the pump and place it in the pond. I've used this pump to drain a swimming pool several times and it has worked very well for me.

Mosquitoes prefer still and stagnant water for their larvae. The more you can agitate the water the better. If power usage allows then I would advise running the feature constantly. There is a product Nomoz 15g Mosquito Pellets which you can add to the pond which prevents mosquito larva and is safe if used as directed around plants, pets and humans.

We look forward to hearing and assisting with more of your projects around the home and garden and I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for them from within the community. We encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank Mitchell. I assume any pond water treated with NoMOz would be ok to spray onto lawns and plants without damaging them?

Also the link to Nomoz does not seem to work. I could not search it on Bunnings website either.

Hi @kashgenius,

Nomoz does not damage vegetation so it is fine to disperse the water on a lawn. I'll have to check with our Merchandise team about the Nomoz and why it's not appearing on the website as it was when I posted. Here's another similar product you can use Envirosafe 45ml Mosquito Drops. It is also non-toxic and safe to on vegetation.

Mitchell

SalBay
Building a Reputation

Re: How to water the lawn from the pond water?

@kashgenius 

There are two methods I use,

(a) Assumes you have pumps in the system:

Instead of using "hard connected" plumbing , use flexible tube, and fit a hose tail and hose socket into the the outlet of the pump, this makes it easier to remove the pump to clean it, and easier to reconfigure the water feature, and you can connect a hose when you need to empty the pond. ( A tip when building the pond - make a low spot in the bottom,  30mm below the bottom edge, then you only have a small puddle 30mm deep when you empty the pond.)

(b) Get a venturi type "pond vacuum" , these connect to a hose, and eject about 3 times as much water as it uses from the hose, and will suck any pond almost dry.  e.g. this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-little-pond-sucker-and-3m-ribbed-hose_p4813072  you get 3m of 20mm ribbed hose with this ($23 value), which is the same hose you plumb your pond pump with, so you can plug and play with the pump in (a) . The 20mm hose fits 19mm barbed irrigation fittings , so you can mix and match those as well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to water the lawn from the pond water?

Hi @SalBay,

They are some great suggestions. I like the idea of using the fountain pump and having hose connectors on the pump for a quick disconnect. From memory, I believe they will attach to 13mm poly pipe. Using an Aquapro Little Pond Sucker And 3m Ribbed Hose would be a great idea for removing any sludge at the bottom of the pond.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts, I trust @kashgenius appreciates them.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects