Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hydroponics

jennih
Cultivating a Following

Hydroponics

I have my water / pond garden looking great with the water plants I bought from Bunnings - I think it needs some sort of algae cleaner

My new green house is coming this week so I can get my seeds growing safely 

I read that the leafy salad type vegies grow faster in a hydroponic system than in soil - so I am keen to check out if I can make one myself for indoors and/ or  outdoors and what I need  (the kit ones I looked at online were expensive). 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hydroponics

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jennih. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hydroponics.

Just to clarify, do you wish to make the outdoor hydroponics setup in the pond that needs algae cleaner? I'd be hesitant to use too many cleaning agents in a pond that is about to have edibles placed in it. Algae typically needs relatively stagnant water to develop. What sort of filtration/aeration system do you have currently? Even a pond pump with a water feature attachment can move the water and aerate it enough to inhibit algae growth partially. However, if your pond is in full sun, you'd require a really decent filtration system to avoid algae. Here's a guide from @Adam_W on How to install a garden pond. He also covers a lot of information on how to keep your pond healthy. Check out this other excellent article by Adam on How to get started with aquaponics. I'm sure you'll pick up some great tips.

If you've seen any examples of homemade hydroponic setups that you like, please post some pictures here, and I can assist with how you could replicate them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jennih
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mtchell

The pond algae is one thing - based on your advice I could get a solar pump and AquaPro Algaway

The hydroponics is a different topic 

With the hydroponics I want something I can build and put in the greenhouse / outside  I found some ideas on the internet - one using cut plastic drink bottles which looked cheap and easy and one using net pots and foam over storage containers 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's it, @jennih. A pump to move the water with a fountain attachment to aerate it will help keep the water from becoming stagnant, and AquaPro Algaway will take care of the Algae. 

Please let us know if you have any questions about the hydroponics setups that our members might be able to assist you with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects