Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for raised garden bed on terrace

troy1
Finding My Feet

Ideas for raised garden bed on terrace

Hi all,  I am new to gardening and I have just bought a galvanised raised bed measuring 900mm wide, 1200mm long and 300mm deep and there is no bottom of the garden bed. How should I set up a garden bed on paved surfaces???

Help please,IMG_1851.JPGIMG_1852.JPG

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for raised garden bed on terrace

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @troy1. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans. It's a wonderful community here full of helpful, clever and creative people. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration.

Let me tag the amazing @Adam_W to see how he would tackle this project. I'm sure @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to share his thoughts when he is back online tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site.

Jason

PS. I should have also added that you will find this article really helpful from another experienced Workshop member in @Noelle - How to fill a raised garden bed

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for raised garden bed on terrace

Hi @troy1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you join us.

You'll find most of our steel garden beds come with no bottom as they are commonly placed on grassed or soil covered areas. This doesn't mean they can't be used on a tiled area.

I would suggest using drain matting as it will prevent all the soil and sediment from escaping and minimise any staining to your tiles. Start by draping the drain matting over the entire garden bed. Begin filling the bed up to the top with your soil. Once you have filled the bed you can then trim the excess matting off from around the sides for a neat finish.

You might also be interested in reading through these previous discussions: Drainage solution for Raised Garden bed on Concrete by @kay23 and Raised garden bed by @patricial.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects